2016 INDEX

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June 7, 2017 – “Two Points!”

        After I did it I realized my competitive spirit is never going to disappear just because I have retired.  I may no longer be competing in the workplace to be the best, earn more, or get ahead, but that compulsive spirit to WIN is still there.  It must be built into my DNA or my Mom and Dad did a great job burning that winning spirit into me.

        That patting myself on the back is still there, always has been, and must be the basis of my self-esteem.

        What did I actually do?   I crumpled up a piece of junk mail and tossed it ten feet away into a waste basket and out loud I declared “Two Points!” and did the accompanying hand pump in the air and said, “YES”. [And, no, I never was a basketball player when I was a kid – only played in gym class.]

        The incident made me smile.  I remembered the last time I did it in a work setting.  Last fall I’d done a similar thing in the wait staff area of the Lake Lure Inn. I crumpled up something and tossed it about 8 feet away and I declared “Two Points” because it went in the trash can successfully.   I think I even did the hand pump as well.   All five fellow workers looked at me, only the male of the group had an understanding impression on his face.  The rest, young women aged 17 to about 25 looked at me and rolled their eyes.  I still don’t know what that look was of theirs, but at the time I guessed it meant: ‘She’s weird.’ Or, ‘she’s out of her element.’

        So, this morning it made me ponder.  Yes, I do a lot of pondering now that I am retired, and less post-worrying or pre-worrying about work and more pondering about my moment to moment everyday impressions.

        For instance, I ponder that the younger generation may be so into computer games and technology that they may not have the same competitive “sports spirit” I have.    Maybe mine is old fashioned in that I don’t believe everyone should get a trophy for showing up – I think only 1st, 2nd and 3rd, [the top three “winners”] should be recognized and that those showing up should understand the importance of striving for the best, striving for the award of being the best – no matter how small or inconsequential the competition it is or what the so called “game” is.  

        There is a comment tossed around in the news today, “We don’t win any more . . .”    Maybe some of the younger generation does not have that “winning” spirit anymore.  Maybe it has been undermined by the political correctness of everyone gets a trophy for showing up.

        I don’t know what the answer is.  But, I do know I even do this “two points” declaration of victory even when I am alone.  For example, while out in the garden pulling weeds I chunked out a huge clump of a weed.  I grabbed it, and gave the hefty chunk a swing-toss in to the not-to-close wheel barrow.  It sailed through the air and found the target. “Yes, two points” I say and smile with satisfaction.

        I may no longer be competing with anyone – out in the real world – as a dear friend calls it, but I don’t miss the competiveness of my own work in this thing called retirement.


        I wonder if I shouldn’t keep a daily score card?  Nah, no one would believe me.                                                             

No comments: