2016 INDEX

Thursday, October 24, 2019


October 24, 2019 – My Brother to the rescue

         I own a dishwasher, but with only two people in the house, I find it senseless to use on a daily basis.  Others in small households use their dishwashers when they get the washer filled up.  That seems just ICKY to me – dirty dishes sitting there waiting to be washed.

         I hadn’t used the dishwasher since I had a dinner party and I always have to fight to open the dishwasher detergent.

         As my brother Ken was here, he stepped in and opened it for me when he saw me fighting with it.  He took it, opened it for me.

         “You used to do this for all of Mom’s groceries after Dad passed away.” I mentioned.

         “Yeah,” was his answer, but Ken did the most extraordinary thing.  He took a knife out of my knife block and cut off the knobs on the cap and said,

         “You don’t have to worry about it again.”

         I tentatively tested it, cap on, cap off.  I was astonished. 

         “I didn’t know that!”  I was stunned at his brilliance.

         Now, why didn’t I or my husband know about this process – snipping off a few knobs to make a safety cap a non-safety cap?  We don’t have children in the house.  I should have known about this years ago – it was part of the reason I never used the dishwasher because I had to have my husband open the dish washer detergent.  [I am one of those people that hates to ask for assistance when it is something I should be able to do myself!]

         Today I went on line and discovered there are many tips for opening “child proof” caps of all sorts.  I won’t even have to use a knife on the next cap of the dishwashing detergent , I can use a nail clipper which will be safer for my fingers.

No comments: