2016 INDEX

Friday, December 21, 2018


December 21, 2018 – The Robitussin Bear commercial

         It is a 10 second or 15 second spot and it simply charms me and fascinates me at the same time.

         At the end, I always wonder how did they do that?  Is that a real bear that has been superimposed into the scene or maybe it is a computer generated bear?  My husband says it is a man in a bear suit – that I don’t believe – just look at the bear’s eyes.

         Even the bear's ears move when he talks . . . is that a sign that it is computer generated.  Do real bears' ears move like that?

         It is a perfect commercial – you’ve no doubt in your mind what the product is which is perfect because when you are having a flu/cold slow moving day your attention span is dulled.  Even down with a flu/cold you an eek out from your sick bed – “bring me Robitussin Honey cough syrup” – the message ‘sticks’.

         These are my biggest questions I have these days – things like how the Honey Robitussin commercial is made.  Not much of a life, huh?

         But, then, I am retired, and it has been raining since October.  Woke up this morning to a pond on my back lawn down near the Maidenhair grass.  Our ground is saturated and I’d rather think about a true-to-life bear than think about the fallen leaves an inch deep sopping wet on my lawn.  They will be hard to clean up – whereas thinking about the Robitussin bear is an easy fantasy.

         What first gets my attention is that blue gasp with a bit of lavender at the end – that is what I perceive when people are coughing around me in church – I wince and shift in my seat.  Often, I even pull my scarf up around my face to ward off the blue aspiration of germs floating through the air.  This year I vow I will rudely get up and move away from a typhoid Mary the next time I am coughed on.

         I also admire the pathetic limp hair ponytail hairdo that mimics my own “housekeeping hair” as I call it when I am just bumming around the house, cooking, cleaning, or gardening.

         But, the highlight to me is the bear's voice – spot on - by Brian McGuinness.  His voice is so enticing I almost want to trot out to the trashcans with him.  I think we’d have a honey of a conversation.




NOTES:
Website where you can watch the commercial            

Another website where they have analyzed the commercial in detail and added a parody – fun.






No comments: