2016 INDEX

Monday, December 3, 2018


December 3, 2018 – “ . . . the kindness of strangers.”

         I pulled a Blanche DuBois yesterday evening at the BI-LO grocery story in Chesnee. [Reference to the Southern Belle sister in the play and movie entitled Street Car Named Desire.]

         I had just driven in from a fancy Christmas party west of Greenville, South Carolina, on a beautiful lake, at a swanky clubhouse.  During that 3-hour drive each way I noticed the gas was down to $1.89 near Clemson.  That alone took my breath away – but I was in congested traffic and didn’t stop to fill up until I got to Spartanburg, South Carolina, and paid $1.99 a gallon. Here in North Carolina, we are about $2.49, [last fill up].

         I digress, but I am still on the “savings track” of this little story.

         Years ago, I quit shopping at the BI-LO’s grocery store because they would advertise in the weekly newspaper flyer a large discount on cat food every few weeks, and I would grab a bag and bring it to the cash register.  They would ring up the higher price. When I pointed out the flyer price, I quibbled and I lost. 

         Granted, I let this situation pass once, then twice, but the third time in a matter of six months, I asked to speak with the manager.  I walked him to the cat food aisle and pointed out that what was marked on the shelf matched the lower price in the sales flyer and he made up several excuses and said something to the effect, “If it is not in the computer, we can’t change the price.”  That day, I left the unpurchased cat food at the cash register, paid for the rest of my groceries and mentally vowed I wouldn’t darken the door to a BI-LO grocery store for the rest of my life.

         That was about 15 years ago, until last night.  Coming home in the dark after a long drive, I opted for convenience, rather than holding a decade or more grudge.  I pulled into the Chesnee BI-LO and walked directly to the meat case.  If I could whistle, I would have when I noticed the difference in discount card price and regular price.

         I knew exactly what I was going to do, as soon as I saw the price tag of $9.06 with bonus card or $14.42 without the card – which is a whopping $5.36 difference.  OUCH!



         I don’t know about you, but I simply hate all those key tag things that clutter up your key chain – Food Lion, Ingles, BI-LO and now the drug stores have gotten into the act, Rite Aid, etc.  I even have one for Ollie’s and Sally’s.  I hate them – I find them tacky and I do not keep any of them on my key chain because they take up too much room.  I opt for keeping the little key cards in a compartment of my charge card carrier and pull them out when I need them.

         But, I haven’t had a BI-LO’s discount card for years and I was thinking frugal.  Ahh, yes, often when I am in Food Lion or Ingles grocery store and someone doesn’t have a discount card they loudly ask for one and I, just like most people, hand over my card for their temporary use. Why not – we are gaining points to purchase discount gas at Ingles.

         As I walked to the front of the store, I started to locate my target – yes target.  I needed to find just the right person to play act my total helplessness so that I, like, Blanche DuBois, could depend on the kindness of strangers.

         I sighted two targets.  A tall fella was to the right with a basket full of groceries, and a paunch that reflected the basket.  He had a shock of white hair and a nice countenance. He looked like a soft touch, but I was put off by the full basket of groceries, I didn’t want to wait that long to check out and get back on the road.

         Then, I noticed a wiry man, about 35, in jeans, work boots, three-day-old beard, handful of groceries loaded on one arm and in is right hand he’d hooked fingers in two six packs, one coke and one beer.  He was my type of man, a quick in and out grocery shopper.  Side note: If you buy beer here in the south, you had better have all the grocery store discount cards – or you are paying way too much for your beer. A much better target.

         As he was putting down his assorted groceries I advanced, gave him a flashing smile as I sidled up behind him.

         “Excuse me, do you have one of those discount cards?” 

         I had his attention as he did the typical tip to toe look and a smile broadened on his face.

         “Could you zap me when you are done? I left my thingy on my other key chain.” I said in a husky voice, as I was within a foot of him holding my package of chicken so that he could read the label easily.

         “Sure,” he said as he glanced down at my purchase.  Then he chuckled adding, “Yeah, five bucks is five bucks.”  I surmised he was thinking that five bucks would pay for another six-pack – or close to pay for it.

         I smiled demurely at him and as his groceries were rung up, I let my mind wander off to imaginary land, thinking, ‘Yes, my other key chain, the one with the De Beers diamond fob in the shape of a heart that keeps the keys to the vintage Jaguar and the 60-foot sailing sloop. . . . ”

         I came back from my reverie, when the total stranger turned and handed his key chain to the grocery clerk where it was “zapped” for my discount.

         “Thank you so much. How kind of you,” I said softly in Blanche DuBois style.

         “Anytime,” he said as he nodded to me retrieving his massive key ring.



        
         I haven’t yet gotten to the helpless state of Vivien Leigh’s character in Street Car Named desire, where she says:

“Whoever you are, I’ve always depended on the kindness of strangers.”

         But, I can be a great actress when I want to save $5 bucks.



        

No comments: