2016 INDEX

Thursday, March 14, 2019


March 14, 2019  - “How’s the writing going,” my dear brother asked.

         “Not well.”

         I will use one of my favorite lines I shout at myself – mentally, not aloud – What was I thinking?

         I downsized my computer desk to a raised desk which I am discovering is simply too small for me.  I thought it was a good idea at the time, getting rid of the executive style wrap around desk with credenza for a bistro bar that has two bar stools. 

         The new bar – now desk top has my two flat screens, my speakers, a yellow sticky note holder, a Delft cup with pens and pencils and my mouse and key board and nothing else.  It is merely 22 inches deep and 40 inches wide. There is hardly room for a coffee cup or a copy stand – unless you want either to fight with the wireless mouse.

         I am honestly not comfortable.  The stools are uncomfortable – not on the back, but the buttocks where they seem to want to cut off the circulation to my legs and feet.

         I’ve suffered it out for the last month or so – but today I ordered a new draftsman type chair – adjustable. Maybe that will help, maybe that will allow for proper foot circulation, maybe that will enable me to sit at my computer and type like the old days . . . for hours at a stint.  That sure is my hope.

         So, my writing has not been going well even though I have plenty of ideas.  I’ve plenty of stuff I have written in long hand on old fashioned white lined pads in the last several weeks, but it hasn’t been keyed into the computer yet. So changes won’t be forth coming soon.

         I am in a stall which I created myself and I am trying to creatively get out of that stall.

         I didn’t realize that I was 100% married to that executive desk – even though it wasn’t the right size for this house.

         And, not certain the raised chair will work, I also put into place a second option. I’ve ordered a lap desk that would rest over the arms of a dining room chair. I can prop my feet on an ottoman and kick back and relax . . . that seems silly – but it might work out better.

         Meanwhile, we have the Writers’ Workshop coming up at our local college in April, and that should inspire me as well as another class I have signed up for just for “kicks and giggles”.

         That class is Copperplate Calligraphy – series of 5 evening classes given by The Visual Arts Center.  When I am done with that class, I will probably write out my monthly bills the “old fashioned way” with nib and bottle of ink. 

         Maybe my personal “John Hancock” [signature] will actually look like what he signed on the Declaration of Independence.  We will see . . . I will keep you posted.

         “OHH . . . I wonder if my bank will cash my check with the new signature?”  - Maybe that will be my next: “What was I thinking?”




No comments: