2016 INDEX

Sunday, March 17, 2019


March 17, 2019 – Fast thinking

         You know those moments in life when you automatically do something that “saves the day” in a small way.

               Your lightning fast reflex when the teabag box falls out of the cabinet and you catch it before it lands on the countertop.

               Your quickly moving your feet to safety as the quart sized V-8 juice can spills out of a split plastic grocery bag on the way into the house.

               Your snatching the rolling egg on the counter top before it reaches the edge at the same time you are pouring your coffee. Whew - that was a close one – cleaning up raw egg from a kitchen floor ranks right up there in the top five awful chores.

         You know – reaction time, automatic reflex, quick thinking. We all have it to one degree or another.

         I had one of those moments the other day and I thank God, I still have those powers, or does one consider them life skills.

         For some unknown reason to me at the time, I flushed my toilet and suddenly the water came up to the lip of the bowl and started to pour over the edge onto the floor.

         I had just hung up brand new towels nearby and my hypersonic reaction was – NO – I am not going to snatch them and toss them on the floor.  Then I thought about the rug in front of the shower making a dam out of it and tossed that thought away just as quickly. Then, I instantly remembered that my Rainbow vacuum can suck up water and I started to count 1-2-3-4 . . . . 25-26.

         I have this funny habit of counting mentally at the strangest times – is that a sign of OCD- oops back to the matter at hand.  Maybe I was just timing myself because I needed to act fast.

         Within 26 seconds I dashed to the closet, grabbed the vacuum, pulled it into the bathroom and plugged the electrical cord into the socket in the next room and turned it on and sucked up the water around the toilet in a jiffy. 

         Once the panic situation was under control, I then proceeded to unplug the toilet, mop the entire bathroom floor, and, empty and clean the tank in the Rainbow.

         As I was re-wrapping the cord around the top of the Rainbow vacuum, I had a thrilling feeling of satisfaction – you know – that Superwoman self-Kudos moment.

         For the rest of the day, I had a lilt in my step.  I was congratulating myself with self-satisfaction.

         I still have the “right stuff” – on occasion that is.

         I hope you note your moments of greatness. You need to celebrate them when you have them, because you still have the “right stuff” too.

No comments: