2016 INDEX

Monday, July 6, 2020

1776 – The Movie


July 6, 2020 – 1776 – The Movie

         Fourth of July weekend and TCM always delivers with patriotic movies.

         If you haven’t seen the movie 1776 – which is a musical and comedy, it is worth the watch.  Yes, Yes, they stretch and bend history to make it amusing, and some of the history is transferred or lost, but the gist of it is amusing, to a simple Patriot like me.

         Every year I try to watch it on TCM and it is a fun watch for no other reason than to see the clever lines made up out of scant historical references. Each year I seem to catch more of them.

         I am not a history major, so the insults to the history I let slip by in order to catch the subtle humor, especially of Congress doing nothing for a year.

         Some of the actual script:

         For one solid year they have been sitting here. A whole year! Doing nothing! – does that seem familiar to how our Congress is working these days?

I say this with humility in Philadelphia
We’re your responsibility in Philadelphia
If you don’t want to see us hanging from some far off British hill
If you don’t want the voice of independence forever stilled
Then God, Sir, get thee to it
For Congress never will, you see, we piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Not one damn thing do we solve
Piddle, twiddle and resolve
Nothing’s ever solved . . .

         Has anything changed since 1776?  Or, since this movie was produced in 1972?  Not much.

         That is one reason I watch it, it makes me laugh. So much has changed, yet things are the same.

         The second reason is for the costumes.  I love the men’s vests, breeches, and the lace cuffs on the shirts on the Southern gentlemen. The women’s dresses with the square neckline with lace at the elbows, and tight at the waist bellowing out in full skirts. 

         Back in 1976, I handmade a proper 1776 dress for my grandmother who  would be riding on the Grange float in several parades and she enlisted my help. 

         We picked out a rich blue calico [to compliment her eyes] for the dress and embroidered white cotton for the contrasting bodice. I used the  1776 pattern, which is pictured below:



         I had to adjust the dress – smaller shoulders, and smaller waist, yet a larger bosom and uneven hips.  Several fittings later, it fit her like a glove, and the hem – Oh, Gosh, Grandma Nixon was short, so the pattern was way too long for her and the hem was somewhere between 6 and 8 inches too long and uneven due to her hips.

         I can still picture her on the gold leatherette ottoman I helped her onto and me scooting around on my knees below her with pins between my lips folding up the yards of skirt to make an even hem and pinning it. She was just a fidgeting, seemed to take forever.

         I wonder if I even have a picture of her in that dress. I really don’t need one, that dress is permanently etched in my memory, as I worked on it, a labor of love for several weeks. Grandma was adorable in it, and the envy of the Grange ladies.

         So, if you are schmuck, like I am for Patriotic movies – it is worth the watch, especially in the current climate about “Slavery” – which is debated in the movie.  Just check out the song “Molasses to Rum to Slaves” – it is spot on – even now.

         I will say goodbye now to you movie fans until next year, when I will discuss the movie: The Scarlet Coat – another Fourth of July weekend movie I love.  If you can’t wait, I am sure you can snag it from TCM.





Notes on The Movie - 1776
1776 – Molasses to Rum – great voice!

Wikipedia discusses its historical faults and flaws at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1776_(film)

Script by Peter Stone can be reviewed at:

No comments: