2016 INDEX

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

July 28, 2021 - Curate your garden

 


          Curate has been tossed around the last few years and one day I was reading a political magazine and I made a mental note – when the powers at be use the word curate in a gardening magazine – I will scream.

         AYEE . . . UGH!

         There, it is out of my system.

         First, years ago, after experiencing curate and curator in the written word in just about everything I picked up to read, I researched it to see if I wasn’t spot-on about its meaning.  I thought, curator as in a museum, or curator of a collection of old books.  Someone who kept them in good condition, indexed them, a caretaker, a steward.

         Later, stumbling over the word curate even more, I reviewed the definition again and added to my mental notation of it to select, organize, or maintain a collection of resources.  Resources?  HMMMM

         In the back of my mind I remember the blogs I did on Marie Kondo – how to tidy up your house, your life – January 15, 2017 through January 17, 2017 blogs – go visit them if you missed them.  She didn’t use the word curate – I wonder why?

         Maybe it is a “politically correct word?” 

         But, I sum it up as: keep the best and toss the rest – on a personal or professional basis.

         I curate my photographs. I curate my china cabinet every couple of years to find any chips or cracks that need tossing out.  I curate my plastic container cabinet, just about monthly, keeping the best and tossing the ill matched covers or scorched plastic containers.

         Under the direction of Marie Kondo, I curated my books – oh doesn’t that make me sound smart – “curated”.

         I curated my closets and my bureau drawers and my bill receipts. 

         I am on a roll.

         So, let me get to curating the garden.  Oh, already been there and done that and now I need a T-shirt pronouncing it to the public.

GARDEN CURATOR

         Nah, that doesn’t seem catchy enough.

         Okay, enough with the foolishness of the buzz word – curate.

         No matter what you call it, curate or revise or clean up or gut the darn garden of the weeds and the perennials that just don’t work and replant – I’ve done it and it is a lot of work and it takes a bit of time.

         The front of the house, I cut down the towering shrubs that covered the windows.  I had to, I couldn’t see out and trimming them required I use a step ladder and falling seemed likely.  Much better, no shrubs, neater look, less likely to fall and break a hip.  And, it gave me more time, less mold on the white vinyl siding and easier cleanup in the fall of leaves.  It also gave me a fresh empty canvas to create an easier to work landscape in front of the house.  The sidewalk and front steps are more pronounced, therefore the bronze whippet shows up better from the street. A curator’s success!

         We had a white birch tree cluster removed last year and a dappled shade garden bordering the patio and the driveway suddenly turned into blazing sun.  I’ve been curating it now since last summer, fall, winter, spring and back into summer.  Looks like I will need more time for my curating.  Shade weed seeds suddenly grow to monster weeds when they get full sun and the rain we have been getting.

         Slowly I am saving the huge hostas and replacing them with perennial chrysanthemums.  So far, the Chinese ground orchids, Blietilla orchids have made the transition from dappled shade to almost full sun.

         But, what surprised me the most were the violets.  Those dainty little tufts of spring violets about the size of a saucer, so sweet with their heart shaped leaves and tiny fragrant flowers in my dappled shade unsuspectingly turned into monsters.  Now they are flourishing and are smothering everything else in existence. Yes, they have gorgeous dark green heart shaped leaves and larger flowers now, but the huge mounds are the size of peach baskets. 

         I have already filled up one of my new compost bins with nothing but excavated excessive violet plants from the now SUN garden.

         I obviously have more garden weeding and work to do, so let me recap: I am the custodian, keeper, conservator, guardian, caretaker and steward of my garden – just call me a working Garden Curator.

 

Does that come with a raise? – Oh, I forgot, I am retired!

 

        

        

No comments: