2016 INDEX

Saturday, November 11, 2017

November 11, 2017 – This year’s experiment – Belgian Endive

        Belgian endive (Cichorium intrybus) sometimes called witloof or French endive is actually a type of chicory.

        This year – being really retired – I decided to experiment.  I have always been fascinated about the forcing of Belgian Endive.  Horticulture’s Step-by-Step article in the December 1990 issue found its way into my Gardening scrapbook.



      Last winter I was aghast at the price of the ‘chicons’ being sold in the market and they looked old and picked over.  That got me to thinking and researching Belgian Endive.   Sure, takes a bit of trouble to grow step one and then on to step two – but isn’t anything worth having worth a bit of trouble?  I was up for the challenge.

        I purchased Totem organic Chicory Seed from Johnny’s seed [Their product No 2320G.]  Complete cultural and forcing instructions are included with the seeds.  In the spring you plant the seeds and raise them in rows where they are 5 to 6 inches on center.  I started mine in seed blocks – so I ended up with more “forked” roots than normal.  Next year I will start them in plug type trays without the compaction of the soil in seed blocks – if this experiment is successful, that is.


      They were big fluffy green leaved plants much like the look of an overgrown Romaine lettuce.  With that abundance of leaves, I was expecting the roots to be much larger – but I wasn’t completely disappointed when I dug them up this fall.   It was late September when I dug them up cautiously – not injuring the roots. I started with 32 plants and ended up with about 26 roots worth keeping.



     I cut the tops back to 1 inch from the crown and laid them at my feet sizing them in the shade.  They ranged from a few larger than the diameter of a quarter to those the diameter of a nickle.  Anything smaller than that I tossed on the compost pile.  I let them rest in the shade a day or so then brushed the soil off more and packed them up into bundles of 6 to 8 roots in loose plastic and placed them in the crisper tray of my spare refrigerator.  They have now passed the 6 to 10 week mark.



        I pulled out 8 roots – three of the big ones and 4 of the small ones and one of the large forked one.  I had saved some wonderful “Monrovia” brand pots that are about 7 inches tall.  They are two quart sized pots and sturdy.

        I mixed equal parts sand with unused potting soil and potted them up.  I filled the pot ½ full of this mixture, then pressed the roots into the soil and continued to fill the pot.  Of course, I didn’t cut my roots short – like the instructions said – they were longer and I created sleeves/collars around the inside of the pots with three overlapping paper plates shoved down into the soil. I continued to fill the pots and collars until they were just about at the crown top.  Then I watered them in and placed two pots in a 15 inch tall black waste basket – the office type you can find at Staples or Office Depot. [Recycled from my closed title company.]


        I parked the endive filled wastebasket in the master closet on the north end of the house, popped an opaque plastic cover on the top for darkness. And, to give them fresh air every day – I will stroll into the closet and pop the top off – in the dark and brush my teeth – then when done – I will pop the top back on.  It is cool in that closet and we keep the light out – so I’ve the cool and dark, just need to tweak the fresh air and humidity bit. But, I once grew button mushrooms and was successful without a lot of fuss and I think these will be similar. [Especially when I surf the internet and see pictures of many European houses growing them under the kitchen counter in a galvanized bucket.]  I am not “over-thinking” this project.


        Above is the link to Johnny’s horticultural instructions if this interests you.

        So, in 21-29 days I am hopeful that I will be harvesting chicons.  In 14 days, I will put down the second run of two pots and hopefully I will have a continuous crop for a few of these upcoming winter months.



No comments: