2016 INDEX

Sunday, November 26, 2017

November 26, 2017 – Ice blue eyes

        I wasn’t expecting it.  My husband moved my car Wednesday morning to make room for our Thanksgiving guests the next day.  My husband moved the pickup truck down to the garden, and re-parked my car where the truck normally is and then my husband stayed parked where he normally parks. It was good thinking on his part.

        I wasn’t expecting it.  I spoke with the florist who was verifying my location for delivery of flowers.  I told her to come to the front door.  Later, the doorbell rang and I went to the front door and no one was there so I walked out the front door and down the front walk and circled around to the back door chasing the florist down, “You-who,”  I called.  I caught up with the delivery gal about two steps from my back door.  I took the flowers and walked back around to the front door. [They say it is bad luck to go out one door and come in another . . . maybe I am superstitious.]

        On Wednesday, I cooked and set the table and got the house ready.  Thursday, I finalized the cooking, and sat and chatted with guests and then cleaned up the dishes, and pots and pans.  My car was parked for two days. On Friday, by early afternoon I finally put my shopping list in order and went out to my car.  It didn’t start - I wasn’t expecting that!


        “Oh My.”  I said and went in to get help from my husband.

My husband unsuccessfully tried to “jump it”.  He then took me shopping and when we came back home I called AAA and told them my problem – or do we call that my issue.   Actually, I’d coin it a “crisis”.    I hate being without my own wheels.  I also don’t like the strange routes my husband takes to the post office or the store.  I swear it is the longest way in the world to get there.  It has to be the woman vs. man thing.

        AAA was friendly and efficient.  They get my high points for “customer service” any day. Within 30 minutes, someone would come to see if they could start my car. I wasn’t expecting it so quick on Black Friday. 

Only a few minutes later, the AAA mechanic person phoned and said,

“I’m at ‘such and such church’ that is what I got when I punched in your address.”

“The development is across the street, I’m the third driveway on the left, white house, black shutters, green front door.” I answered.

“I’ll be right there.”

I hardly had time to get on my sweater and shoes by the time he pulled into the driveway.

“Who’s that?”  My husband asked.

“AAA mechanic,”

“That was quick.”

Out the door I went and met the mechanic.  He was carrying a jump box – at least that is what I would call it – but I am a novice when it comes to things of this nature.

He popped the hood and clamped his machine on the battery and it did it’s magic.  I climbed in and cranked the car – it started - I wasn’t expecting it.  I honestly expected it was going to be an alternator or something that would cost me a fortune because my battery was only a year or so old and shouldn’t be dead. I only bought it - not last summer, but the summer before as I recalled.

“You changed your battery July, 2016 . . . that is hardly a year and a half old.”  He said.

I thought, ‘How did he know that?’

“I got the Gold battery, I always get the best battery. Living out in the country . . . you know.” I answered.

“Where did you get it? Advanced Auto?” He guessed as he looked me straight in the eyes.  I wasn’t expecting it. 

He had typical mechanic dirty nails, but his eyes were the clearest ice blue I’d ever seen in my life. – I wasn’t expecting those.

“Yeah,” I said thinking – who is that actor with eyes like that.  I drew him into more conversation just so I could look into those eyes and maybe it would jog my memory.   I thought, A-team, who was that actor.  He was in Breakfast at Tiffany’s and yes, the close up of him in Blue Max.  But, the name didn’t come.

The AAA mechanic was packing up and said, “Turn the car off and we’ll see if it starts again.”

I did as was told.  It started up again like a charm.

Then the AAA mechanic slipped into over-drive customer service with a smile and those dancing ice blue eyes.

“You need to drive around a bit.  Actually, if you got it at Auto Zone, go back there and have them check your battery.  It might have a bad cell – you can exchange it – I believe you are still under warranty  . . .”

I wasn’t expecting that – excellent customer service and a suggestion to check on my battery warranty.  Me, I never would have thought of that.  All I was thinking about was,   ‘Thank heavens I’ve got wheels again, and my car doesn’t have to be towed to a garage and  . . . and who is that actor?  I can see him plain as day, but the name is just not coming.’

“You are all set.”

“Do I need to sign anything?”

“No.”

He got in his vehicle and left.  I left my car running while I ran in and got my purse.  I drove directly to Auto Zone, had them check my battery, and as it was still under warranty they installed a brand new one for free. - I wasn’t expecting that.

When I got home, I explained the new battery situation with my husband and asked,

“Who was the fella on the TV show ‘A-Team’. He was also in Breakfast at Tiffany’s and in The Blue Max.”

He instantly said, “George Peppard – Why?”

“The AAA mechanic – he had ice blue eyes – just like George Peppard.”

My husband gave me a squinty look for moment and then shrugged his shoulders and walked away.  I was expecting that.




No comments: