2016 INDEX

Monday, February 12, 2018


February 12, 2018 – “That’s cheating,” she said.

         I distinctly remember she asked me if I would be having “homemade” mashed potatoes before she accepted the invitation.  I understood that question to infer she felt boxed instant potatoes were YUCK and I agree.

         “Yes, real mashed potatoes,” I said, and then she gladly accepted my invitation.
***

She called out to me from the dining room as she noticed how I was making the mashed potatoes for the Thanksgiving dinner,

“That’s cheating!”

Her remark caught me off guard when I started my hand mixer, but I merely raised an eyebrow and carried on, as the British do. I was making enough potatoes to serve six people generously realizing that men have hollow legs to fill with second helpings. I had already used my old-fashioned, looped wire hand masher first and now the noise of my hand mixer had drawn her fiery comment.


         I was under the pressure of getting all my hot food out on the buffet at the same time. It is all about timing and I am rather good at it, if I don’t say so myself. I am personally turned off by lukewarm or cold food that should be served scalding hot. [That is one reason I don’t like going to restaurants - sometimes the plate is hotter than the food.]

         “Those are whipped potatoes,” my guest states as she sidles up close for inspection as my hand mixer is blending in the butter.

“That’s I how I was taught,” I reply and continue on my quest to perfection.

         She was too close for my comfort and I finally said,

“Out of the kitchen - go sit down.”


Luckily, she hadn’t seen me add the heavy cream, or she would have had a conniption or possibly correct me again advising me they were now creamed potatoes.

         Later, cleaning up that night, I mulled the situation over. What would she have said if she saw me with the potato ricer? 

***

         In this house mashed potatoes are delegated to the high holidays – Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas and maybe 3 or 4 more times during the year. 

But, coming off this cold/flu I was hungry and in the mood for “soul food” and that called for mashed potatoes. Tonight I made old-fashioned mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus, and hamburger steaks.

         As I am admiring the way the potatoes were smooth and had just the right amount of salt and pepper, and butter I am still thinking about how I supposedly cheated.

         The next time, I will do skin-on baby potatoes that are first steamed;  then you press each individually with the bottom of a glass until they are about ½ inch thick.  Lastly, you gently sauté them in herbs and butter on both sides and serve them.   

         I wonder what she would call those - I’d call them delicious!