2016 INDEX

Sunday, February 4, 2018

February 4, 2018 – A latest trending word - pissant

         I have crawled out of my cold/flu cave and have wandered out to my computer.  I am not over it yet, but I am trying to get back to the land of the living.  Of course, my mailbox is full of emails.  Most of them are ‘self-generated’ by my signing up for things –  a perfect example is the Word of the Day I mentioned last month.

         I thought checking those would be an easy way to get back into the swing of using my brain cells to think, and it clearly was.  During my flipping through the words of the day, I happened to notice on a sidebar to the right called TRENDING NOW  with the following list of words:

redaction
spurious
malfeasance
pissant
furlough
[invitation] SEE ALL

         This is interesting because it indicates a rise in lookups when the word is used in recent media.  Lookups rose 3100% on spurious; lookups rose 115,000% on pissant.  WOW, the 115,000% number caught my attention because I was already familiar with the word.  I learned it as a youth. 

         I found this trending now tab fascinating as “Brady takes umbrage with ‘pissant’ comment”.  That is Brady, as in Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.  We happen to have the Super Bowl today, [and the Patriots are my team] so of course, I clicked on it.  I didn’t have any doubt what it meant, I just was curious how it came about that it was one of the trending words. I understand it started by Alex Reimer the radio personality calling Brady’s daughter, “an annoying little pissant” and then Brady shouting back  “You’re a d_____ little pissant”. 

An old fashioned tit-for-tat name calling!

The word, pissant, is sort of like another noun, sycophant. It pops up in those heated discussions for-or-against you, yours, or your enemies.  It becomes etched in your brain and you can’t wait to use it again in your touché in an argument.

I’ve had my amusement for the day and simply wanted to share with you a great little go-to tab to kill time, or spice up your conversation with others. 





No comments: