2016 INDEX

Monday, February 19, 2018


February 19, 2018 - Hit the Wall



“Gosh Karen, what did you do to your face?” Susan asked across the fruit counter at the local market.

“Jogging,” Karen answered shaking her long hair forward trying to hide her bruised and scratched face.

“It was just last fall you tore up your knee. You said you “hit the wall” because you were going for another lap and suddenly collapsed.”

“That was different. I was training for the marathon.”

“You might think all this running is healthy for you; me, I think you are simply killing yourself for nothing.  My husband says a little more bounce to the ounce is sexy,” Susan said preening with a grin.

“Your idea of sex is two helpings of Tiramisu back to back,” Karen said with an edge and they both giggled.

“Well? Tell me.”

“It was so warm last night I decided to go for a run, my first time jogging downtown since I wrecked my knee. When I passed the Italian Restaurant I turned left into the alley to cut back to Church Street, I hit the wall.”

Susan exclaimed, “See, you don’t eat enough; you push your-self too much without enough food for proper energy.”

“No, that wasn’t the issue. I didn’t know the restaurant built an addition into the alley this winter. Jogging along, I turned down the dark alley and three strides in, I hit the wall head on.”

 [This month's writing class - "Hit the Wall" was the phrase I was given.]

No comments: