2016 INDEX

Wednesday, May 9, 2018


May 9, 2018 – Chrysanthemum Cuttings

         Lovely rain last night, and cool weather this morning.  Perfect timing for Chrysanthemum cuttings.  If you have never done this – give it a try – it is fun and you will feel “so accomplished” when you have rooted them.

         Hopefully, you will have a Chrysanthemum growing from a last fall planting.  When the growth is about 4 or 5 inches tall, you cut a handful of stems about 4 to 5 inches long.  I always cut them longer when I am out in the garden, I trim them in the house when I am “sticking” them in the growing medium.  Always take more than you need.

         There are many rooting hormones on the market, but I find that the brand Rootone is often available at most stores.  I never stick a stem into the original bottle, I always transfer a spoonful or two into a smaller vessel.  In the past, I have used the caps of perfume bottles – or an old shot glass.  Right now I have one of those miniature jelly jars that are often sold in packs at Christmas – about 1 inch round and 1 ½ tall. It is convenient as it has a cover.  A little goes a long way.


         I fill a six pack cell tray – with purchased starter soil – it is soft and fine and drains well.  Fill your tray or pots and tap them on the counter to settle them, add more soil if necessary.

  
       I hold the stem about 1 inch from the top and keep the top leaves as I strip the bottom leaves off.  Then I snap the lower stem to make the cutting about 3 to 4 inches.  I try to keep them consistently the same size.  I stick the lower stem into the Rootone in the small container, give it a swirl, tap it on the edge of the little jar and then press the stem into the center of the cell block.  Press the soil around the cutting with two finger tips and then move onto the next one.  I do this quickly so that the cuttings do not dry out.  I suggest you do this indoors, instead of out of the wind which can dry your cuttings.  Once you have filled your tray or your pot, use a fine spray to wet them down and let the trays drain.  Excess moisture is not good, not enough moisture is also not good.  I wait until the leaves are dry and no more drips come out the bottom.


         I transfer the pot or six-packs into a small tray and put tall plant stakes on the edges and one in the middle.  Next I take a white garbage bag and open it wide and set pot or tray in the bottom of the bag, pull it up and loosely tie it with a string at the top [usually around the center stake].  I do not put in direct light.  I give it a few days, and then check it for moisture.  I have diffused light in the dining room and that is where I leave it for 3 or 4 weeks.    Every other day I check it for moisture, spritz it with water if necessary and give it some fresh air.

         About three weeks I give one cutting a little tug – if it resists – then I know we have roots forming.  If it strongly resists – I pull it out and check the roots.  It is always exciting seeing those roots.  At the rooted stage, I drop the plastic bag and let them have a bit more light.  At this point, you can pot them up into a larger pot and bring them along, or harden them off and plant them in the garden.



        I prefer potting them up for a bit and getting more roots and top growth outside in a sheltered area.  When you plant them out in the garden, you pinch the growing tips out in order to produce full, bushy plants with more flowers. Continue pinching back every few weeks until midsummer. Yes, this is the hard part, but it does pay off in bushier plants with more blooms.

         Be adventurous and give it a try, this is a fun thing to do.

        

No comments: