2016 INDEX

Sunday, January 13, 2019


January 13, 2019 – That looks familiar since I am the artist.

         I have a Habitat for Humanity resale shop about 3 or 4 miles from my home.  I dropped in to make an appointment for them to pick up my donated office furniture.

         I must say, they are great merchandizers.  There wasn’t a single parking space left a 1:15 p.m. and I had to wait in a queue until someone left so that I could pull in.  And, the line of shoppers was amazing.  They were 6 deep at the cash register the whole time I was there.

         Directly inside the front door, they have a seasonal table and it is jam packed with everything Valentine.  From stuffed animals to heart decorated coffee cups and heart shaped bowls it is really an inexpensive place to shop.

         I browsed their used books and picked up an old paperback by Clancy – The Hunt for Red October for 50 cents.  Last month, after I watched the movie for the umpteenth time I declared what a good story it is and bet the book would be better than the movie.  We shall compare as I feel the movie is one of the top 20 movies of all time.  So, when this snow storm we are anticipating is swirling the flurries, I will curl up and put my nose in an old classic.

         Then, I noticed something interesting.  The balance of the unsold donations I made to my last year’s church rummage sale must have ended up being dropped off at this entity.  In several departments I noticed things that I am sure I donated merely by their familiar scratches or subtle dents.

         Amongst the Valentine items I noticed hand cut wooden houses that I hand burned with designs.  I never got around to painting all of them.  It looks like all the painted ones sold and the non-painted ones are left.  It made me smile that they were out on a merchandising display right at the front door. 

            Someone might find their charm and buy them.  I was surprised the personnel pricing them felt they were worthy of $1.00 each.  I guess they classified it as ‘rustic art’.

         What a charming thought – my cast off art lives on. Even though they are 25+ years old someone still thinks they are worthy of at least a dollar bill each.  How about that – could it be a subtle sign of inflation?

No comments: