2016 INDEX

Sunday, June 16, 2019


June 16, 2019 – Inadvertence.

         I was carrying around a note pad and pen to make a list of what I need at the hardware store this morning.  I am fond of blue Pilot Precise V5 fine point pens. 

         This morning I pulled my hair back in a Scrunchie – yes – many of you may remember that Sex And The City series:

         “No self-respecting New York City woman would be caught dead running around Manhattan in a Scrunchie.”   

         Probably you, like me, think twice about going out in public in one. I break the rules often when I am in the middle of a gardening project, with my sweaty hair up in a Scrunchie, along with dirty pant knees, I trot off to my favorite Horn’s Home and Garden for needed supplies. [No one seems to care.] However, this morning was something different.

         I was about to wash my face when I grabbed a Scrunchie and pulled my chin length hair into a double knotted bun.  Then I leaned in toward the mirror.  Sure, I felt awful, dealing with the residual effects of the Spring flu and the pollen that was giving me sinus drip and sniffles – but two blue streaks on my left temple made me announce to my mirrored image,

         “Maybe I need to see a doctor – why do I have blue veins bulging over my left eye?”

         I grabbed my bar of Ivory soap, plunged it under the running water, and started to lather up – I had blue suds.  WHAT?  Then I turned my hands over and saw blue on both hands intermittently.

         I took a washcloth and scrubbed at the blue streaks on my forehead and they came off .  Thank Goodness, at least I am not having a serious health issue.

         But, where was this mysterious blue coming from? 

         It didn’t take but a moment to figure out what happened.  I had put my pen and note pad down between my double bathroom sinks, while I pulled out clothes to wear.  By inadvertence, I didn’t realize that the tip of the open pen had touched a Scrunchie I had on my sink vanity and it had sucked up enough ink to convey blue onto my hands and also my forehead as I pulled my hair back.

         I doubt anyone will notice the dark blue streak I now have in my hair which could be accepted as a new fashion trend.  Possibly people will consider me edgy now instead of being close to going over the edge.
                              

No comments: