2016 INDEX

Saturday, August 24, 2019


August 24, 2019 – Tuesday’s child full of grace

         Earlier this month I was signing up for insurance and in the process of watching the gentlemen who was assisting me key my personal information in, I leaned in to view the monitor to verify what he was typing. 

         He asked me what my birth date was. It was a normal question as most insurance policies ask that information, and I tossed it out easily like a handful of small change into a fountain.

         “Do you happen to know what day of the week you were born?”  He asked with raised eyebrows.  Now that wasn’t  a normal question, but I tossed my answer back at him quickly.

         “Tuesday. Tuesday’s child full of grace,” pausing a moment to add, “at 10:56 p.m. or was it 10:54, maybe 10:52 p.m. – I think.  I am fuzzy on the minutes, but I know I’m close.”

         He said, “Watch,” as he pointed his cursor arrow on a calendar icon and clicked it and the month of my birth calendar popped onto the screen confirming I truly am a Tuesday child.

         He smiled and as I was piqued by this exchange, I softly whispered to him across the desk, “How many people know the answer to that?”

         “Most,” he shrugged.

         Later in the day, I couldn’t help but mull that moment over as I was driving over to Polk County to enroll in an upcoming writing class.  It was a beautiful day for a drive and I went the direct route out HWY 74 to Columbus and came back the scenic Route 108 on the way back.  I rolled that memory of my childhood and even adulthood when I’d ask that time-worn question of my mother,

         “Tell me about the day I was born.”

         Mom always answered starting with,

         “Tuesday’s child full of grace,” and how my Aunt Yvonne and Uncle John were visiting that afternoon.  Mom got up and without any fanfare took a shower and dressed. Dad was called home from work and drove her to the hospital in the next town where I was born leaving Aunt Yvonne and Uncle John to babysit my two older brothers.  [It is easily understood that Yvonne is my middle name and I love the reason for that middle name as well as how unusual it is.  See NOTE:]
        
         I also thought of the people who had never had a chance to ask that question of their parents.  What a lost piece of personal history that must be to not know one’s grand entrance into this world.

         Later in the day I asked that strange question of my brother. 

         “Heck I don’t know, why?”

         I told him the about the interesting moment.

         “I got it right, you don’t know? Well I will look it up for you.  I am sure the computer has a perpetual calendar.  I bet your baby book has it.”

         “I have no clue where that would be,” he answered.

         “Mom sent me mine about 10 or 15 years ago, I run up on it each time I clean drawers or cabinets. But, I too can’t put my hands on it right away.  I bet she put the time down – I am certain of it.”

         “Is that on your birth certificate, I wonder,” he replied.

         “Don’t know.”

         I told him I’d find out and get back to him, so I am.

         The traditional poem used to teach young children the days of the week in a sing-song way is below:

         Monday’s child is fair of face
         Tuesday’s child is full of grace
         Wednesday’s child is full of woe
         Thursday’s child has far to go
         Friday’s child is loving and giving
         Saturday’s child works hard for his living
         And the child that is born on the Sabbath Day
         Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

         1838 (first printed source) version above
         Published in St. Nicholas Magazine, 1873


         Brother Ken, you were born on Sunday: Bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

If you don’t know your birthday of the week, below are useful tools to find out.

NOTE:  I phoned my Aunt Yvonne, one of the last of the four people alive that knows the intimate story of my birth date, and she confirmed all that I wrote above.   Your own personal history is so moving when you reminisce, but it is good to verify the facts.


See Wikipedia for poem info: https://www.infoplease.com/calendar/195101

Link to a perpetual calendar:  www.infoplease.com/calendar


        

No comments: