2016 INDEX

Sunday, August 25, 2019


August 25, 2019 – Couple of bites of Southern flavor

         Bite No. 1.

         “I am starting to act Southern,” I said to a friend meeting her at The Pie Factory in Downtown Forest City, North Carolina. 

         The Pie Factory is at the corner of Cherry Mountain Street and West Main Street and sports the famous clock that is often used as a Forest City Icon.  The establishment was a bank – in fact construction work began 7/31/1925 and The National Bank of Forest City moved into the building in 1926.  J. D. Ledbetter was a co-founder of the bank.  Tomorrow’s blog is the history of J. D. Ledbetter, The Ledbetter House and about the bank building in great detail.

         The three-story height corner building is built of Pennsylvania iron slag brick and in the center back of the first floor is the vault which is equipped with a door weighing 18 tons.  The vault door is impressive and visible to the patrons. 

         Over the last 30 years, it has been many things, including a bank. I, being a fan of old buildings and history, opened an account there, just because of the building even though parking was not always convenient.  The tellers were beyond “downhome friendly” and always called me by name – of course I loved it – who wouldn’t – made me feel “local” during those transactions.

         The day I went to meet my friend, it was a hot – hot August day, the humidity hung in the air.  My hair was already limp, my makeup ruined by beads of sweat and I’d only left my house, and driven five minutes to the Mooneyham Library in Forest City in my air conditioned car.  

         I immediately started to “hunt” for a parking place under a shade tree – something I rarely do. But when it is blazing hot – even I, a born New Englander understand the difference between a car parked in the sun and a car parked in the shade.  I snagged a shaded parking space and had to deal with the low hanging crepe myrtle branches getting out of and back into my car; but I was thankful for same at almost the noonday hour.

         I re-traced my drive from the library down the quaint Main Street of Forest City and snagged another shaded parking place to meet my friend.  Walking into the high ceiling original bank building, now The Pie Factory, the first thing you notice is the magnificent space, the architecture, and the incredible aroma of the pies lined up in the glass cabinets.

         I bellied up to the cash register and ordered an ice coffee and it was so refreshing as I sat and waited and thought about the history of the place. I’d make a decision on which pie to taste when my friend got there.

          When my friend arrived, Becky, she muttered about the heat, too and greatly understood my comment about parking in the shade.

         “Yes, when you live in a place long enough – you start to act like the locals.”

         Bite No. 2

         I noticed a framed Southern poem on the wall opposite where you place a to-go order at the old BBQ restaurant now turned Fish place west of the Catholic Church.

         Waiting for my to-go order, I had the time to copy it down as it captures the local flavor.  I did not see an author’s name;  I hope you enjoy.

The South . . the place where . . .
everyone is family,
there are no strangers,
just people you haven’t met yet.
The tea is sweet,
words are long,
days are warm, and
faith is strong. 
Growing up in the South
is a privilege.
It’s more than loving sweet tea,
fried chicken, college football,
and hunting.
It’s about being devoted to God,
long farm fields, front porches and
each other.

[unknown author]

No comments: