2016 INDEX

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

“May the angels sleep on your pillow.”

 

September 15, 2020 – “May the angels sleep on your pillow.”


Left to right: Dr. Bruce, me, Father Gabriel

        Father Gabriel Meehan used to say that to me when I left his company after arranging flowers for the church on Saturday mornings, or when we talked by phone.

          Father Gabriel passed away on September 6, 2020.  He was a spiritual priest and a delightful man.

          I was honored with his presence at my table on many special holidays. He was a great conversationalist as well as a dear friend.

          Just being in his presence, made you more spiritual; he was the most “holy” man I had ever met. He alone, deepened my faith twelve fold.

          When I moved here in 1985, I began going to the small church across from Grindstaff’s on the main street of Forest City.  At that time, we would bust out the seams of the church on holy days.  A few years after his retirement, the Immaculate Conception Church dedicated a new church, 500 seats, the same year my Dad died, 2010. The small church we had then, we now call the Chapel.

          For many years, I would cut flowers from my garden, or use the flowers other gardeners had delivered to the kitchen of the church and make arrangements for the altar.  Father Gabriel loved fresh flowers and he let me “do my thing.” Many times, on my arrival, he’d call out of the front door of the rectory and ask, “Coffee?”  “Yes Father!”

         Moments later, we would drink coffee and chat while I arranged flowers.  I have fond memories of those magical stewardship moments. 

          I got a chance to ask all the questions I wanted to ask when I was in high school catechism and was afraid to ask. We covered daily life, spiritual lifeand what was happening in the world.  I felt so comfortable with him.  He had a sort of twinkling eye, leprechaun effect on you.  He took me as I was, flaws an all, and I appreciated that.

          The first Fall, I had scant flowers in my garden so Father Gabriel helped me trim the blazing maples around the rectory with his trusty jack knife, and I arranged them in huge vases. 

          The next morning during Mass, an occasional bright maple leaf would plink down to the then blue carpet of the sanctuary.  The dropping of the fall leaves, one by one slowly as the temperature came up in the church during the hour or so long Mass caught everyone’s attention and Doctor Skudlarick mentioned after Mass how many he had counted.  It became a tradition, in the Fall once a year, Father Gabriel and I would do the blazing maple leaves.

          In a future blog, I will tell you the first time I invited Father Gabriel to my house one Fourth of July, when we were living in the big house. I made him his favorite, cucumbers in cream and served a whole poached salmon.  He brought along a friend, Doctor Bruce, pictured to the left of me in the photo above.

          And, a little bit of history – Father Gabriel gifted the magnificent Stations of the Cross that are between our beautiful stained glass windows in our 500 seat stone church.  We have Stations of the Cross every Friday night in Lent.  The public is welcome to attend.

God Rest your soul, Father Gabriel Joseph Meehan



July 19, 1931 - September 6, 2020



   

No comments: