2016 INDEX

Friday, January 15, 2021

 

January 15, 2021 – A bright spot in a dull day

 

         Two days ago, a normal day, no big plans, house cleaning, run to the pharmacy later, low caliber stuff; that was all that was planned.  One of those cold sunny days in January when going out to work in the gardens was a non-starter due to the wetness mixed with cold wind.

 

         The telephone rings and I answer.

 

         “Hello?”

 

         “This is Wayne, what are you bringing me for lunch?”

 

         I hesitate - a serious pregnant pause trying to collect my wits. Do I even know a Wayne? Possibly wrong number? My mind is clicking into overdrive going back to searching on Wayne as he sure sounded like he knew me.

 

          To buy time I say, “Excuse me, you are?”

 

         The man guffaws into the phone making me smile wide.

 

         “This is Wayne at Oakland Feed that seed starting medium has arrived.”

 

         I laugh.  “Well, that got my attention . . .”

 

         He laughed again, “We got to have a few laughs around here once in a while to liven things up.”

 

         At that moment, I wondered if I was on the speakerphone and all the fellas at the feed and seed store were lounging around listening as Wayne called each person on the special order list to see if he could get a rise out of them.

 

         “I will pick it up this afternoon.” I answered.

 



 

         That was memorable . . . that was carnival-ish.  That reminder would easily stamp on anyone’s memory to get on down to the feed & seed and pick up their order.  I think that was the idea, the country way of making a memory impression that suddenly moved going to the feed store to the top of their customer’s to-do list.

 

         In a flash, I was ready to go out the door and in my mind was planning my route – which to go to first – prescription or feed store; which was the quickest way, which was the right turn off the road instead of crossing traffic.

 

         I do that now more often, plan my trip, decide if I will take the car that is easy to park or the truck which needs more room and I park in a drive-through-to-pull-out slot to make my life easier – well also, make everyone else’s vehicles dent free.

 

         When I arrived at the feed & seed store, Wayne opened the door with a big grin on his face.  I popped the trunk before I even got out of the car.

          He even offered me more than one bag of special seed starting soil by putting up one finger or two.

 

         “If you don’t think I am a glut face, I will gladly take two.”

 

         He beamed and hollered out the back, “Hey, the lady will take two.”  He immediately turned to attend to another lady and tossed over his shoulder, “you can pay him,” glancing at the cashier and moving away to his next efficient sale.

 

         Yup, living in the country, shopping at local stores that are individually owned, you get the best service in the world.  You might have to order things special at times, but, if it is worth havin’, it is worth orderin’, and you just be patient about it.

 

        

No comments: