2016 INDEX

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

December 14, 2016 – Christmas Tree Napkin Fold 


          A few weeks ago I was the bartender at a Christmas Party of about 75 people.  It was a festive affair with Christmas decorations on the tables, wreaths hanging in the windows of the hall and beautiful lighted Christmas trees flanking the fireplace with matching mantel piece decorations.  The decorating committee was what you might say “In-to-Christmas!”

          And, they brought along their own napkins.   Forest Green linen napkins folded like Christmas Trees.  The guests simply loved them.  I thought they were simply darling.

          I made a mental note to look for the directions and share the art of folding a napkin in the shape of a Christmas Tree to the ladies at my church.

          This evening was The Ladies’ Guild Christmas hors d’oeuvre and cookie exchange party.  I made a double batch of Almond Macaroons, the expensive cookies I make only at Christmas and Easter.  My Mom likes them and I am sending up a box of them with her Christmas gift.   I tried a new recipe for the hors d’oeuvre - Blue Cheese Crackers.  Instead of buying a cheese to spread on crackers, these are supposed to save you and the guest time, as the Blue Cheese is in the cracker.  They were different and interesting.  I didn’t get rave reviews, but I could see they had some “takers”.  I think they would suit more of a “cocktail” party crowd than a bunch of ladies sipping Mimosas.   The recipe is below if anyone thinks the recipe might fit a niche.

          At the last minute – this afternoon - I researched the Christmas Tree Napkin fold.  The internet is a wonderful thing.  Almost instantly I found a You-tube folding demonstration.  I watched it twice, I tried it twice and they both came out perfect.  At the bottom of this blog is a link to it.  I have some linen napkins that are nice and crisp.  Not green, but I would show the gals the fold.

          At the party I gave a demonstration on how to fold the Christmas Tree napkin.  I did it a couple of times, and one gal tried it and hers came out perfect.  So, I proved, “Yes, we can do this!”  They all agreed that they were “cute” and screamed Christmas – except for the color.

          I did the demonstration to discuss an idea. [As well as I can be a show off with a new craft skill.]  At next year’s cookie walk I intend on selling forest green napkins already pre-folded in Christmas Trees.  I think it would be a great sales item. 

         

          If you have guests coming to dinner and can find the right color napkins for this project – do it.  Your guests will be impressed!

Happy folding!
For anyone interested, here is the link.




Blue Cheese Crackers
[food processor method]
Makes 5 to 6 dozen

1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup pecan pieces, toasted and cooled
½ cup [1 stick] cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
6 ounces cold blue cheese, crumbled or cut into small pieces
1 egg, separated

Put flour in food processor fitted with the steel blade.  Add pecans and pulse until pecans are finely chopped. Add butter and blue cheese and pulse until a mix of pea-sized lumps and sandy crumbs form. Add egg yolk and pulse again just until dough comes together.

Scrape dough onto a large sheet of wax paper and press.  Cut dough into halves and form each piece into a 10-inch log.  Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment.

Cut logs into ¼ inch-thick slices and arrange about ½ inch apart on the baking sheets.  Lightly beat egg and brush on tops of crackers.  Prick with a fork.

Bake 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown.  Let cool.  Store in airtight container.



No comments: