2016 INDEX

Friday, December 23, 2016

December 23, 2016 – Christmas Story No. 3


How often has someone asked you “Tell me your biggest Christmas surprise?”

          Well, for me that is an easy one.   We were married in February many, many, many, years ago and at the time money was tight so it was a wedding band only.  Of course, I wanted a diamond ring – an engagement ring – but it wasn’t meant to be.   I got his love, I got the man that loved me, but I didn’t happen to get a diamond ring along with the wedding package. I was hopeful that a diamond ring would come along later.

          By the end of the year, we were more prosperous and my husband did the Santa thing big time.  There were lots of packages under the tree to make up for the short money situation earlier in the year.  I felt like I’d never get through opening them all.

          Later as I was taking up all the torn paper and ribbons and stuffing it in a trash bag my husband called to me,

          “You missed a gift that is still under the tree waiting to be opened.”

          “No I didn’t.” I said looking around the tree and stand and the ruffled up tree skirt.

          “There under the tree stand, I can see it.”  My husband said pointing at it.

          I got down on my hands and knees, put my hand under the stand and pulled out a rolled up ball of tinfoil the size of a golf ball which looked like a piece of trash.

          “Open it.” He suggested.

          I moved to the couch beside him and peeled the layers of tinfoil off and inside was a diamond ring – my long awaited engagement ring.  I smiled delight at the ring and at his silly gift wrapping job.

         
Is it still an engagement ring if you don’t get it before the wedding?

Who cares – that is what I call it.


          

No comments: