2016 INDEX

Saturday, February 18, 2017

February 18, 2017 – Snickerdoodles and Seed Starting

        So, you are wondering, what do Snickerdoodle cookies have to do with seed starting?  I had a failed attempt at home-made brownies yesterday afternoon which are for the Immaculate Conception Church’s Spaghetti Dinner.  Rarely do I fail at anything I cook in the kitchen – but these were awful and that was confirmed by a friend who happened to drop by – yes, even the edges were awful.  I chucked them in the waste basket and put my thinking cap on.

        This morning, thinking more clearly I said – Memo to self:  You haven’t made Snickerdoodles in a long time and even if the FAT POLICE are called in the evidence will be long gone – the cookies will be off to the church with a dozen or so left here for us fat faces.
       
        At the bottom is the recipe and they are now “chilling” for a bit so that I can easily roll them and dip them into cinnamon sugar.

        I mention the FAT POLICE because these cookies are made with SHORTENING – OH my GOSH – it is considered the enemy among dieters and health food professionals.  But, you really can’t make a Snickerdoodle any other way.[At least not to my knowledge.]

        What I admire about these cookies – they are soft, they have that cinnamon sugar thing going on and then there is that elusive taste of what?  Cream of Tartar.

        Enough about the cookies – let us get to the Seed Starting: Shortening – the brand Crisco now comes in a handy dandy baking stick in a one cup size.  It is packaged in a very nice clear plastic container that has an inside dimension of  about 1 ½ inch wide by about 4 ½ inches long with a depth of 1 ¼ inches high and a nifty little cover that snaps on and off.

        These little containers will fit perfectly on a window sill.  AHA – did I get your attention?  Does this not scream of a “project with a child or grandchild?”   OR, the child within you?

        I happen to have a hand-held 20 soil blocker from Johnny’s Selected Seeds which makes ¾ inch squares.






        It is the little one. I also have the bigger one which is 4 blocks – which are two—inch squares.  You can investigate further at: http://www.johnnyseeds.com

        I hate wasting precious starting soil and when I am in the mood to try things from seed, I go for the small one.    The bag of special starting soil is in the trunk of my car and once I get the cookies done and delivered to the church, I will haul it in and make little seed blocks and then sow some seed.

        And, “HOW, pray tell are you going to get those little blocks into the little shortening tray without busting them up?”  Simple – I will be ejecting them out onto a strip of paper cut to size – half of the 20 block will fit onto a strip of paper with excess on the ends or maybe even some old ribbon and I will drop it gently into the bottom of the container, seed them, cover the seeds  if needed, and pop the top on.   They will make cute, instant little greenhouses.  There will be enough of a head room for ¾ inch growth and by that time I may be able to take the tops off.

        And how are you going to get the little seeded blocks out of the trays once they have sprouted?   Those little wooden toaster tongs – work swell – or lift the ribbon out and remove them that way.  

        I will put two of them on the window sill directly above my sink which has morning sun and be able to keep close surveillance on them.   I might even cut a block of wood to size and raise them up so that they get even more sun . . .  I like to be creative. Once up, I will take them out to a covered cold frame. Here in the South we can have some fun experimenting.  I just love pushing the season.

That should give you food for thought and 
swell cookies for the tummy as well.  
Good gardening to you!

Snickerdoodles

DOUGH:
1        Cup soft shortening
1 ½      Cups sugar
2          eggs
2 ¾      Cups sifted Gold Medal flour
2          teaspoons cream of tartar
1          teaspoon baking soda
½         teaspoon salt

MIXTURE:
2          Tablespoons sugar
2          teaspoons cinnamon

Mix together thoroughly shortening, sugar and eggs.

Sift together and stir in flour, cream of tarter, soda and salt.

Chill dough. 

Preheat oven to 400°.

Roll into balls the size of small walnuts.
Roll in mixture.  Place 2” apart on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes about 5 dozen 2” cookies.

[These cookies puff up at first then flatten out with crinkled tops.]

This was a recipe I got from my friend, Kay Fuda,
God rest her soul.
Believe it is a Betty Crocker Recipe



No comments: