2016 INDEX

Friday, February 10, 2017

February  10, 2017 – “Do you think money grows on trees?”

          When we were kids in rural America, we would often ask for something frivolous. My Dad had a comeback – not rude – but a realistic answer.

          “Do you think money grows on trees?”

          My clever Mom around 1995 [you will see how I get to that date later] made a seed packet that she put in my Christmas box.

          The seed packet now resides under the pen caddy in my computer desk drawer so that every time I clean my computer desk drawer I unlodge it and admire the cleverness and the love she put into it.

          It is a simple, white envelope that is the basic size of a traditional seed packet.  Probably a spare envelope from a packet of thank you notes.  Yup, the “Hallmark” name and crown embossed on the back flap can still be made out.

          On the front is my Mom’s rendition of a Money Tree created with a simple comic-strip-type drawing of a brown trunk topped with a green loopy top growth that is covered in green $ signs as the foliage.  At the top of the envelope is, of course, the name of the seed:  “Money Tree Seeds”.  At the bottom, in her small printing, just like most seed packets, is: “Greener Pastures Seed Co.”

          On the back is written:  “Instructions inside.” Along with a warning: “Keep away from heat to prevent premature sprouting!”

          That Christmas I thought it was the best gift because it was clever and classic “Mom”.  Putting gifts away I casually tucked it in my bill box.  I had held it up to the light and could see that a bill of some unknown denomination had been folded up and what sounded like some sort of seeds.  I didn’t open it for years as it was a delight to me every time I ran across it.   It was a “cherished unknown”.  I would finger it and smile at it and put it back for safe keeping often.

          When I went on the road traveling for the Title Company, I tucked it in a hardly used pocket of my laptop tote for good luck.  Still, I had not opened it savoring the “unknown”.

          Then I graduated to my own company and it ended up in the bottom of the top drawer of my CEO desk.  There it has been for years.  Every time I clean my desk drawer to sort out too many pens that aren’t working and get rid of the clutter that somehow accumulates there – I take it out and admire it.  I savor Mom’s clever idea, her cute Money Tree picture, and the instructions on the back time and time again.  The corner edges are worn and I’ve noticed over the years that there seemed to be less and less “seed” noise in the envelope; however, I had never unsealed it.

Well, the glue on the back has now disintegrated and the back flap opened by itself.

          Today I finally peered inside and find what is left of what sounded like seeds when you shake the packet – six kernels of uncooked white rice and a folded in fourths crisp new Lincoln [$5] with a series date of 1995.

          I guess I didn’t heed Mom’s warning:  “Keep away from heat to prevent premature sprouting!”

          I tuck it back in the envelope and put it back under the pen tray now that it has been cleaned and straightened.

          I wonder if the last 6 “seeds” will sprout in years to come.

          I will report back and in a year or two to let you know.



No comments: