2016 INDEX

Thursday, March 29, 2018


March 29, 2018 – The Foot-in-the-Door Job Interview


This little treasurer is the result of a writing class prompt.  We had to shout out three things – with little time to think.

I blurted out for profession:    Bartender

Location:                                The Whistling Oyster
[at one time an actual restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine]

Item:                                     Cocktail shaker

Prompt:  Write something with those three items.



The foot-in-the-door job interview

        “Sir, I’m Nikoli Costas.  May I have ten minutes of your precious time?”

        “You’ve got five,” he answered carefully looking the young man up and down considering the intrusion.

        “Let’s split the difference and say seven minutes, I’ve been admiring your new lounge here at The Whistling Oyster and I want to be your bartender.”

        “Experience?”

        “Two years, year-round at the Oyster House in Bangor, Maine, I’m a sophomore at the University of Maine, business major.”

        The owner didn’t comment he was still looking at the handsome college kid and his eyes were drawn to his unusual vest.

        “I see you are admiring my vest.  Yes, Sir, I had it made special for The Whistling Oyster.  Grey brocade with oyster print, perfect for your establishment.  I had two made, so that one can be laundered if it is soiled.  I hand sewed the pearls in the oysters myself,” he said proudly, but with a sheepish smile.

        “Go on then, give me your elevator speech,”  said the owner who settled down on a dusty barstool in the under construction lounge that would highlight a piano pit with seating for 40 and the new bar increased to 30 seats - all with a view of the crashing waves on the cliffs.

        “I’ve taken the liberty of bringing my own gear, as I know you are under construction and have no liquor in stock at the moment.  Give me a moment to set up, Sir, and I will prepare five cocktails I have created  just  for you.”

        “Very well, get your stuff, I’ll be back in a few minutes, my manager needs to meet you,” he said and walked away. She will love him. This kid is eye candy.

        Nikoli pulled his rolling plastic tub through the door and behind the bar. He put his cocktail shaker to one side and dumped a bag of ice into a large stainless steel bowl. He set five specialty glasses on the bar and arranged the rest of his gear behind it.  

        Next, he pulled out a manila file and staged his cost analysis cards and nametags for each drink. Lastly, he held a white kitchen timer in his hands.

        The owner and his wife returned and sidled up to the new black marble bar in front of the various glasses.  The wife smiled at her husband with a nod of approval.

        He reached over the bar and said, “Mrs. Wheeler, nice to meet you, I’m Nikoli Costas.”

        She rose a bit in her seat, shook his hand and then settled back down.

        “Ready?” Nikoli asked and set the timer to seven minutes and placed it so that the owners could see the time face. It started to tick softly.

        Nikoli started his presentation.

“I think, when you have A Whistling Oyster you’ve got to have a pearl.” 

“You start with a sugared rim,” he turned a martini glass into sugar and set it before the wife.

“Ice, blue Sapphire gin, blue curacao, shaken well,” he said as he shook it over his head for added drama.

He long-poured the drink into the waiting glass with a flourish.

“Macadamia nut as the pearl. There you are, The pearl - blue of the ocean in your glass, sweet rim, subtle gin and that cool fresh orange taste.”

“Your profit margin on this drink is listed on the card. I’ve taken the liberty of doing a cost analysis based on the current alcoholic bureau’s price list and quality ingredients.  As you can see, this is beautiful as well as a profitable drink.”

The wife picked up the card and handed it to her husband for his review. She sipped the drink and smiled.

In the next few minutes, Nikoli made four more drinks with his running commentary and pizazz setting each out on the bar for their review.

He paused a moment and recapped their names,

“The Pearl, Lost at Sea, Puffin, the Mariner, and the Oyster Catcher with the dark liquor float over the cream looking similar to the local bird.”

 He continued with confidence, “I’ve created five more drinks for a 10-drink-summer line up. I’ve taken the liberty of drafting a drink card.  The estimated printing cost is attached,” he said handing it to the owner.

“I believe you plan to open week before Memorial Day, I will report to work the Tuesday before to set up your bar in an ergonomic fashion--”

“DINNNNNG” sounded the timer.

Nikoli brazenly continued, “I want the 4 to 11 shift every day and I’ll be on call to cover your day bartender if he is a no-show.”

Mrs. Wheeler sipped more of The Pearl, and then rose and stretched out her hand.

“Welcome aboard, mate.”

NOTES:  The Whistling Oyster in Perkins Cove, Ogunquit, Maine, was not located on the cliff side – so my description of a new piano bar and lounge is merely my wishful thinking. The Whistling Oyster gift shop is what remains today.  

Back in the 1970s the original Cliff House restaurant [Cape Neddick, Maine] was a low ceiling wooden structure with a piano bar and lounge. When my husband was courting me, back in the 1970s we would sit in the Piano bar. On extremely blustery, rain soaked nights the spotlights targeted at the cliffs illuminated the dramatic crashing ocean waves.  It was a spectacular sight, mixed with music.  That old Cliff House is embedded in my memory. Years later, it was replaced with a modern facility, which to me, didn’t have the same ambiance. Oh well, I’ve got my vivid memories to keep me company.




No comments: