2016 INDEX

Thursday, March 8, 2018


March 8, 2018 – My mushroom box has arrived

         Back in 2006, I ordered my first mushroom box kit from a seed and nursery catalog.  It was the year I started picking items on my “bucket-list” and it quenched my overwhelming curiosity on raising mushrooms.  It was a great success and somewhere I have a picture of me in my turquoise satin pajamas holding a box of mushrooms tipped toward the camera showing a fine crop and me with a genuine smile. [Someday, when I get my photo images organized, I might be able to find something!]


         That first mushroom box was a fabulous experience.  I watched little white dots the size of the head of a pin turn into the size of a quarter by the next day ready for harvest.  I cooked mushrooms every-which-way I could; sautéed in olive oil and butter, in omelets, in stir-fry and, I even made homemade mushroom soup.  I sprinkled freshly sliced fresh mushrooms over homegrown spinach salad and I smacked my lips at every incredible fresh crunch of the white button mushrooms.  For several weeks I and my husband were amazed at the entire process.

But, the one drawback, now that I knew what a really “fresh” mushroom tasted like – the store bought little boxes just weren’t fresh enough for me, and I got very picky about buying mushrooms in the grocery store.  You rarely get that “crunch” from a grocery store bought mushroom unless they are in season or unless they haven’t been damaged by heat or cold in shipping. 

This time, instead of the white button mushrooms I ordered the cremini/baby bella mushrooms.  I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas in March.

         The supplier only ships them at certain times of the year and they are not available from May 1 through September 14.  My box was delivered today, and they have already mixed the mycelium [mushroom spawn] with the compost medium and it is sealed in plastic.  The box has to remain unopened until March 21st and then I can proceed as instructed on the box.  By then, the mycelium should have run through the medium creating a web of white fibers.

         I have two weeks to wait.  Last time, I opened up the box, clipped the box top flaps upright and I misted it every day in the morning and at night [when I brushed my teeth] and kept it covered to keep out the light.  I have the perfect environment.  My master bathroom closet on the north end of my house is extra cool.  I’ll pick up an inexpensive thermometer to make certain I have the right temperature.  Right temperature and right moisture – I think that is the key to success.

However, I must caution you, my second box of mushrooms wasn’t a success.  Maybe it was the supplier, or how they were shipped, or the weather when I received it.  And if you can’t keep them watered correctly or in the dark maybe that makes for easy failure.  It could have been my second box was damaged by heat or cold during shipment.  It did produce a handful of mushrooms – but not the bumper crop I got the first time.  It was a disappointment, but I am looking forward to this new attempt.

When my mushroom box arrived today, the UPS lady was most curious as she could clearly see the mushroom growing directions on the outside of the box and special handling instructions were required by UPS.  We chatted about it on the front steps and the box was cool in my hands. That is a good sign.  It should stay between 65 and 75 while it is working making all that lovely mycelium.  I’ve stashed it in the cool closet and I am marking my calendar to the March 21st to open it.

Stay tuned – I will give you an update and I’ll get my camera out and take pictures for you – I promise.


No comments: