2016 INDEX

Tuesday, November 13, 2018


November 13, 2018 – Assorted Book Reviews


         I made note to you in my November 5, 2018 blog that I have been embracing the mantra:  You must read in order to write well.

         This is a book review column of what has passed over my lap in the last few weeks.  DISCLAIMER: Beware, this list is clouded with the eyes and mind of a Republican.  If you think you will be offended because you are a Democrat – don’t continue your reading – skip off to something else in the internet hemisphere that will amuse you.

               Ship of Fools: How the Selfish Ruling Class is Bringing America to the Brink of Revolution by Tucker Carlson.  My dear brother, Ken, bought this book and after he read it, he sent it down to me for a read.  He thought it was a little dull, not HA HA laughter. I considered it interesting, but not exactly that humorous either. Written in plain English anyone can understand,  Tucker covers the entire spectrum of what is happening today in America along with some pointed history.  If you like Tucker Carlson and admire his full head of hair – this book will confirm that he is not just a pretty face – he has brains hidden under that full head of hair.

               When my brother Ken, said he would send me the Ship of Fools book, when he was done, I happened to be in a large city for the day – Spartanburg, SC, where there is a REAL bookstore and picked up Judge Jeanine Pirro’s book entitled Liars, Leakers, and Liberals – The case against the Anti-Trump Conspiracy.  You can hear her voice in every sentence.  Reading it is like having her sit across the room and the two of you are casually discussing politics.  Then, to make an emphatic point she tosses out “straight talk” statements.  It is an entertaining and FAST read.  Upon reading, I sent this book to Ken as he sent the book noted above to me.  Inter-mail library lending is what I will call this sending books back and forth by mail to family.

               Killing the Deep State – The fight to save President Trump by Jerome R. Corsi, Ph.D.  This book I received as a gift for subscribing to The Newsmax Magazine.  A few months ago I was chastised by someone telling me that I was biased as they felt I was only watching Fox News.  So, I expanded my news input and now subscribe to The Weekly Standard, Newsmax and the local newspaper, The Daily Courier.  I will admit this is “DEEP” reading just as the title indicates it is about the Deep State.  I found it fascinating.  I particularly like that it has an index – so you can flip back to something to re-read.  It was not a quick read like Judge Jeanine’s book. There is much to ponder in this book.

               Discovering that our county libraries lean to the Democratic side more than the Republican side, I was surprised when I found the book entitled: The Russia Hoax – The illicit scheme to clear Hillary Clinton and frame Donald Trump by Gregg Jarrett.  Inside back flap places Jarrett living in Stamford, Connecticut.  Possibly, in Elitist land and he even admits in the Epilogue he is a Democrat – but felt he had to write this book.  It walks one through the entire shenanigans of the so-called Russian collusion situation that we’ve daily watch unfolding in the news for the last two years.  It is a good read – little draggy in places, but it connects lots of dots. 

               I always like to have a self-help book or a book that can explain some of my rough edges or improve on my rough edges and I noticed a book at the Rutherford County Library.  The picture of a lone sheep on the front cover of a desolate landscape much like the opening cinematography of the television show “Shetland” on PBS.  Party of one – The Loners’ Manifesto by Anneli Rufus, a paperback with 2003 print date. I found the 18-page Introduction excellent reading.  Now I understand why people get on my nerves – I have little in common with many people and I gravitate to those I have common interests with – normal herd mentality.  It confirms that I prefer my own company; I like to be alone and now I know why I like to be a loner and that there is “nothing wrong” with me. 

         But, what I had not identified until All Souls Day is that most of my like-minded friends have died.  It used to be one or two – then a handful – then two handfuls, but even counting on my fingers and my toes – the close friends that have died in the last 10 years is more than I had realized until I was updating my All Souls Day prayer envelope list. 

         It is not easy to replace those type of friends because of my current geographic location as well as not being out in the work place.  Those two key factors I realized but didn’t mix those factors with the of deaths of so many friends.  So, if you are feeling you are not communicating with your fellow man or woman – I suggest you give this book a read.  It is nicely chaptered with names like “village people” and “the sleeve said” – about clothing.  Again, an interesting read – and just snagging the book because of the lone sheep on the front made it a nice surprise.

               Lastly, The collected Stories of Colette – translated into English, edited, and with an introduction by Robert Phelps. The book is a mere 605 pages of short stories or essays to wander through or pick one or two out by an interesting title and inhale. In the past I read one of the Colette biographies and enjoyed it.  This book has charming vignettes – of course, the situations are dated, much like Guy de Maupassant which are even more archaic.  But, a well told story, is still a well told story.

         As part of my retirement goal I promised that I would read the books I never got a chance to read because I worked long hours with long commutes and usually fell into bed exhausted.  Other nights I was too tired to sit and read.  I now wander through the classics. The first on my hit list was Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.  The oldies, the classics . . . I love the language used in them.

         I am reading across the spectrum – classic, self-help, current affairs, political . . . mixing it all up.  When I get tired of that – I might find me some modern novels or mysteries to keep my mind limber this fall and winter when it is cold, rainy or snowy.

         Since I haven’t found any new friends to replace the memories of many cherished friends who have died – I’ve gone to books which are easier to find.

Books, like friends, should be few and well-chosen.”
- Samuel Johnson

No comments: