2016 INDEX

Tuesday, November 26, 2019


November 26, 2019 – Mushroom Patties - Recipe

         If you are like me: What do you do with the rest of the stuffing mix package after Thanksgiving.

         Recently, this recipe caught my attention – Better Homes & Gardens, November, 2019.

         We are having a non-traditional Thanksgiving Dinner – no turkey or ham this year, I am making Steak au-poivre – just the two of us this year.  That in itself will be a relief.

         But, I still bought a package of stuffing mix – just in case I got nostalgic and needed to create a “Thanksgiving” dinner for two after the fact because we missed it – no, only because I might miss it.

         Saturday I grabbed the 4th to the last bag of Stuffing Mix on display at the local grocery store.  I sure hope they had more in the back . . . .

         Last week, when I saw the recipe for the mushroom patties I had to admit, I have always wanted to try them in a restaurant, but didn’t like the price.

         Of course, I changed up the recipe to suit us.

         I also reduced it to serve only two – basically cut the recipe in half as we are tired of leftovers.

         Ingredients:

         8 ounces of mushrooms – I chose the Baby Bella type – sliced
         1 large clove garlic minced
         1 ½ cups bread stuffing mix – I used herbed
         1 egg
         Dash of rubbed sage
         Butter, oil and Crisco shortening
        
         Serve over:
         Shredded Lettuce
         Sour cream
         Lime juice
         Fresh cracked black pepper

         In a large skillet heat 1 TB butter, 1 TB olive oil, pinch salt  and sauté sliced mushrooms 3 minutes – add diced garlic – continue the sauté  for total of 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned.

         Transfer to a food processor.  Add stuffing mix, egg, sage, pinch salt, several grinds of ground pepper.  Cover and pulse until the mixture comes together loosely. [I did not process for very long, as I wanted to see the mushroom pieces.]

         Spoon mixture out into 6 mounds on parchment paper.  Flatten to ½ thick.  Dust with flour.  [They can be chilled for a few hours, if necessary.]

         Shred your lettuce, place in low bowls. Mix enough lime juice with a couple of tablespoons of sour cream so that you can spread it by spoonful on your lettuce.  Dust with fresh cracked pepper. Set aside.

         In a large skillet heat 1 TB Crisco add patties to skillet, dusted side down.  You can then dust the other side while they are cooking. Brown patties 1 to 2 minutes on first side, turn gently for second side.  Do not over crowd the pan. 

         Serve Mushroom patties on top of shredded lettuce with dollops.

         I found this a simple, yet fulfilling dish, perfect if you are trying to reduce your red meat intake.

         Enjoy.


No comments: