2016 INDEX

Saturday, November 30, 2019


November 30, 2019 – Gel Air Freshener – homemade



         I recently received a book entitled, Grandma Putt’s Old-Time Vinegar, Garlic, Baking Soda, and 101 more Problem Solvers, 2500 Super Solutions for your Home, Health, and Garden, by Jerry Baker Living Well Books.

         I do read these books to learn tips and tricks which the media now calls “hacks”.  [I will always envision a hack as a wheeled vehicle pulled by an animal – yes, I am old school.]

         Back to the book:  On page 338 was a secret formula for GEL AIR FRESHENER.  It caught my attention, how interesting.  It listed water, unflavored gelatin, fragrant oil and food coloring; how simple was that!

         I went on a hunt for little glass containers – my favorite haunt – Mighty Dollar –  had plenty to choose from.

         I picked out two aqua blue small globes for our bathrooms with the rest of the batch planned for little Christmas giveaways and a few for the Church Christmas Fair.

         I went top shelf with the fragrance oil, going to another favorite haunt during their yearly Christmas sale and took advantage of a 20% off on Yankee Candle Scent-plug-refill.  The fragrance is Snow Dusted Bayberry Leaf – and yes, it smells like a snowy morning in a grove of pines.

         I also pulled a copy of a DIY recipe off line – which had a smaller batch as part of me was skeptical on how this project would turn out. [Yes, it does gel in 24 hours!]

         I rounded up a half dozen small, quilted design Mason jars – the ½ cup size with rings.   On line had metal frog tops for the Mason jars, but I thought they were too pricey.  So, I ad libbed cutting white mesh circles from a new lingerie laundry bag I purchased at a dollar store. [I glued them onto the inside edge of the Mason jar rings. The mesh has little holes that let the air circulate yet keep little fingers out.

         It took longer to assemble everything than process the hot water, the mixing and the pouring.  So simple – anyone can do it. One DIY website is noted below.

         Once I was done with my little project, I left the house to run errands.  Upon my return, entering my home, I was so surprised how fragrant my whole house was.  Sadly, I’ll be packaging most of them up and giving most of them away.

         But, this is one project that I can control the amount of fragrance, the type of fragrance and know what chemicals are not in the mix.  A win-win on all points. I can make these anytime.  I understand they dry up in 4 to 6 months – so next June – I will try another fragrance.

         If you want a little bit of Christmas aroma that is not fattening, like cookies baking, this is the project for you.  I tinted mine blue/green. [The picture I snagged from the internet. My camera is suddenly not working! Oh well, another thing to add to my pre-Christmas to do list.]




No comments: