2016 INDEX

Saturday, November 9, 2019


November 9, 2019 – Report on the continuation of paving the driveway.

         Finally, after over four months of being mostly “off” my right foot due to a broken foot back in June of this year, I am back in the swing of laying pavers to complete my paved driveway. 

         I am coming down the winning stretch as you might say.  I’ve passed the back sidewalk where it adjoins the driveway – in fact – I am three inches past the sidewalk now. I just have to lay pavers to the existing apron around the front of the shed, the area where our two vehicles will be parked. It is wider, but there are less issues with tree roots in this area, so it will be quicker, I am certain! [Sounds like optimism to me – does it to you?]

         I’ve used about half the 18 cubic yards of sand in the midst of this project and expect to use up much more of it.  And I may have to carry off  excess sand, but I will see how the raw materials work out as I get to the finish.

         And, of course, temperatures dipped today and we expect them to dip for several days into the artic express plunge – so I may need to resort to “long johns” under my work clothes and a thermos of hot coffee close at hand for the remainder of the project.

         But, it really has been a private journey of ONE BRICK AT A TIME.  When daunted I put one foot in front of the other and move through the mindless paces – smooth the area, lay the sand, level the sand, then retrieve the alternating long pavers 6” x 9” pavers with the short 6” x 6” pavers.  I walk halfway up the finished drive to the wooden pallets that the pavers were delivered on and retrieve two large pavers, one in each hand.

         I walk to the edge of where I have paved and set each paver two rows back from the edge on their coordinating 6” x 9” sized sisters so that I can easily grab hold of them.  I walk back and forth until I’ve a line of them like giant standing dominoes from one side to the other.

         Then I retrieve three of the small 6” x 6” pavers by stacking two in my left hand and one in the right and carry them to the paved edge and proceed to space them between the standing course on end.  I make several trips, always carrying three pavers, not wasting walking time if I only need one paver, I save the extra for the next “row” as I call it by setting them at the end.

          Sometimes I have to pause at this junction and take a breather – that amounts to a sit down in a lawn chair located near the edge of the project to admire the fall sunlight and the falling leaves for a moment or two.  Then I start on the south end and pick up one paver at a time, line it up with the edge and pave down the row grasping, one short, one long, one short, one long, alternating until I get to the end, then straighten up and verify that my design is consistent.

         Whereupon I am smug with myself for a moment and sometimes even say out loud – “Row number ___” [whatever row I happen to have accomplished].  I strive for more rows per day. Or,  “YES” and add an occasional hand pump of victory and then this empowered gal starts setting out the next group of long and short giant dominoes and continues on as I listen to my own footsteps. 

         I listen to the crunch of fallen leaves under my feet, the whisper of the fall wind in the air, and the chirping of the birds at the feeders keeps me fine company.  Occasionally the feral kittens come along and knock down a few of the waiting domino standing pavers or scamper under my feet chasing fallen swirling leaves.  It is all good – all this fresh air and quiet time in the dappled shade.

         It makes me feel powerful – hopefully I can say – “I’m back” when I get into a familiar rhythm of paver laying, day in, day out this next coming week.

         The shed is looming larger, the sand pile is close now, the pavers on their wooden pallets are a further walk away now, but the stacks of pavers are getting fewer and fewer in the middle of each pallet like miniature skyscrapers surrounded by wooden slat streets.

         Baring snow, I will get there – one brick at a time.



No comments: