2016 INDEX

Tuesday, October 9, 2018


October 9, 2018 – Failure – or the Mulligan concept



         I am in the process of re-reading a book by John C. Maxwell entitled “Failing Forward – Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success” – published in 2000.

         I read it 18 years ago – and I needed a refresher course in success and failure, as I have felt “bruised” lately.

         Who hasn’t had set backs? Who has started a new diet and failed?  Who often thinks – why are am I doing this again  - only to set myself up for failure?  Why am I attempting this new project? Will it be a success or a failure?

         I felt I needed a new attitude – or a mental adjustment – or a re-charge in order to get out of bed in the morning, plod on, stay the course, and continue to persevere.  Lately persevering has been tediously difficult.

         Others might not see me as a failure – ‘you do so much’, they say.  But, I have my days just like anyone else.

         The book has great quotes: 

Realize there is one major difference between average people and achieving people.
Learn a new definition of failure.
It's all about how you look at it. 

        
         “Chuck Braun of Idea Connection Systems encourages trainees to think differently through the use of a mistake quota.” [page 22]

         I’d forgotten about this concept until I read it again.  Each student is given a mistake quota for each training session.  If that student uses up his quota, he gets another - he learns to relax.  Try and try again until you succeed is built into that system.

         This re-reading made me pause, sit back, and deeply think about what I had learned in the past that was difficult, yet I had wanted to succeed and discovered I had learned to “relax” in order to succeed.

         Please drift back in time with me to when I was first dating my husband.  He drank scotch, I learned to drink scotch.  He was an avid golfer . . . Oh My!  His mistress was going to be either a bag of golf clubs or me.  That was an easy decision – me.

         I had to understand the game of golf and I had to learn it – quickly.  Not too far from my place of work was a par three golf course and once a week he would take me out to “teach me the game.”  He didn’t mind at all – as it gave him a wonderful excuse to put his arms around me and show me how to swing a club and sweet talk me.

         But, he knew about failure and success and how to promote the art of trying hard in order to succeed.  He also knew I’d never be as powerful a golfer as he was. He wanted me to understand the game, his passion for it, and he wanted it to be fun – not torture.

He’d been playing golf a long time and had a wonderful short game that helped him win against the long hitters in his golf group.

         On our first round, he gave me a lady Mulligan – which is a free shot or a do-over when you screw up or whiff a ball.  My husband was a stickler for keeping score even as I was learning.  When I got to the count of 10 strokes on a hole he simply put a big X on my card for that hole and let me continue to finish playing out the hole without counting 11, 12, etc. so that I got the practice without degrading me.  It was all a learning curve and having a pleasant time and not about discouragement. 

If I didn’t use my Mulligan, the point came off my final score.  Eventually, on a good outing, I got down to a double bogey golfer – which is an average of two more strokes a hole and then slowly got down to a bogey golfer which is one more stroke a hole with the occasional par on a really good day. [Par is the score the golf course sets as what you should make per hole.]

Often on a par three – I’d match his score for the hole which was a little thrill for me. [And for those of you out there that are not aware of what an birdie is – it means one under par – excellent golfing – and I had very few of those in the years I played, yet watched beaucoup of his birdies.]

         I never became a long hitter, but I did develop a good short game, only because he had an excellent short game. As long as I drove straight off the tee, I could get on the green [dance floor – is the term we used.] Then carefully putt to keep my score down. For years, he took me golfing in this casual way, occasionally. 

Then one corporate move, I suddenly became his only golf buddy. I stepped up to the challenge.

         At the time, we lived in Plymouth, Minnesota, and every Saturday and Sunday we did 18, 27, or occasionally 36 holes at Elm Creek golf course.  It was a challenging course for me. We walked and spent all day at the golf course.

         On the first outing, I asked for and got two Mulligans because it was not a par 3 and when I got to a water hazard, I asked for a third. [I am a whiffer when it comes to water hazards – I peek or try to swing too hard.]

After a few weekends, I noticed I didn’t need to use any of my three Mulligans and I was reduced to just one.  And, my husband sweetly deducted that one Mulligan stroke from my final score if I didn’t use it.


The morale of this story . . .as you approach your next big project – give yourself a reasonable amount of Mulligans . . . and you will achieve success with less angst.
          


For the history of mulligan:


No comments: