2016 INDEX

Sunday, December 15, 2019


December 15, 2019 – Deer sighting and other notes

         “Deer – quick – they are chasing the feral cats!”

         I left the computer and dashed to the kitchen and they were chasing the cats; that is interesting.  Were they playing?  Then they wandering down behind my shed where my hostas nursery garden is.  Hostas plants to deer are a delicacy, like caviar.   I tossed on a sweater and in slippers quietly walked around the corner of the shed to see what they were up to – this pair of deer.  I don’t know much about deer, but they looked bigger than yearlings, but not adults.

         Of course, the pretty faces were directed right at me – their ears straight out. I bet they can hear a twig snap 1000 yards out.  Their ears slowly turned and tuned in on me as I approached.  I got 20 feet away. Delightful seeing God’s wild creatures up close. 

         When I asked them, “What are you up to?”  They glanced at each other and then meandered off – first at a walk, then a slow trot up to the top of the rise near the largest tulip tree.  Then they glanced back and almost looked like they were having a conference asking each other, “Which way now?”  They had the most beautiful tails as they trotted off confirming to me they were White-tail deer.


         Above is a wonderful website showing the difference between a white-tailed deer and a mule deer.  I still can’t tell if they are doe or buck, and I snagged a good picture off the internet to show you what I was looking at – tail wise, ear wise and size.





         Setting up the Christmas tree this year, I had to pull out a couple dozen books from the bookcase flanking the fireplace in order to plug in the extension cord.

         Like anything you touch or move once a year, I had to dust the books and put them back and discovered that I had two journals tucked away among the Agatha Christie volumes.

         If you keep a journal, which I suggest even NON-writers keep a journal of some kind, it is amazing what your past life was when you were running 24/7 with the gazelles in business.  Wow, I’d forgotten how busy I was and how much I accomplished in my personal life between the strenuous work load. And, it sure sounded like I drank a lot of red wine.

         My journals disclosed to me – that 15 years ago - in the middle of one bitch session of something that went wrong I switched directly to plans for the future  and listed what I needed to do in my gardens.  A few pages later I’d read about my execution of the garden projects. 

         And, in between I found amazing comments about life that I’d like to share with you as some may resonate with you or not, but coming up with your own great quotes is a wonderful pastime that you can fondly look back on.

         Some I know are famous quotations that I admired in the past and memorized and some I am certain are my own.  [No, I am not researching them, only sharing them with you at this time.]

         “Oh how I want to be retired and do nothing but garden, clean house, cook exquisite meals and write in my silly journal.”

          “In all of life’s adversities – this should make me stronger. SHOULD?”

          “Life should be fun – even if we are scrimping, and scraping, and saving.”

          “I autograph my work with quality.  I do it right even when no one is looking.”

         And, the one that made me chuckle:

         “Yesterday I was so hungry I could have eaten the wall paper off the walls – if we had wallpaper.”

No comments: