2016 INDEX

Wednesday, December 18, 2019


December 19, 2019 – Special gifts

         Years ago, I can’t even tell what state we were living in at the time, but my Mom sent us the sort of gift that if you don’t need now will use in the future, a keepsake gift, a gift of elegance, a gift for the person that has just about everything.

         I see I’ve captured your curiosity.  Silver pillboxes with our initials engraved on them.  At the time, neither of us were taking any medication. Both of us were more than surprised and we fingered the silky smoothness that only silver has under your fingertips. We opened and closed them with their push in clasp and admired our initials.  We both said in unison, “Nice”.

         Each was our special gift that Christmas as we knew they were sent with love. I even remember asking her where she found them – ordered from one of her favorite catalogs.

         I tucked them away in my jewelry drawer and they have been with us for many years. A few months ago, I was straightening up and I pulled them out, polished them up and put them into use.  The first day my husband fingered them and mentioned, “Your Mom gave us these, even put our initials on them.”

         I was delighted he remembered as he lovingly opened and closed the case and again fingered the silky smoothness of the silver.

         Last Spring, we, yes we, switched over to a pill pack type thing for my husband’s medications, as he was dropping pills on the floor and I guessed he was not filling his little plastic cases properly.  He refused my help even though I could open that little plastic pill case of his and see that dosages were not consistent – as in WRONG.  I forced his hand on this one so that he was getting his medication consistently and timely.

         He now has trouble getting the little pill packs open.  He cuts them with scissors and they spray out everywhere.  He no longer has the dexterity or vision to handle the tiny pills.

         I’ve gone a step further and I daily open the pill packs and empty them into the two silver pill boxes which I tagged with little yellow sticky notes cut to size indicating AM or PM. 

         His medications are in hand now along with a bit of old world elegance.

         Every morning, during this process, I admire my Mom’s unusual and special gifts that I’d tucked away until we needed them. 

         Thank you Mom, they are a great gift.

        

No comments: