2016 INDEX

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

New Year’s Resolutions – 2020


December 31, 2019 – New Year’s Resolutions – 2020



         It is that time of year again when we think about making changes and I’ve given the New Year’s Resolutions many thoughts in the last few days and actually last few months.



         I’ve asked myself questions like:

               Do I need all this stuff?
               What do I really want?
               There are needs and wants and then there is
                   status quo, simply taking care of what is the 
                   core needs of your life.
               There is clutter and there is excess – 
                   decide what to keep and what to jettison.
               It is a new year, a new slate – 
                   what do I want to accomplish?
               What did I accomplish last year that 
                   I can build on?

         I imagine you have pondered many of the same things, or maybe about your health, or your career, or your stock portfolio.  Me, I am the simple one now that I am retired.

         What will make my life easier?  Well, last year I worked on my gardens –out went the shrubs that required constant attention and cutting.  The front yard now looks sleeker, neater, and cleaner.

         Also, last year, I took the idea of my dream driveway – vehicular traffic quality pavers and accomplished it.  I had two 18-wheeler truckloads of pavers delivered.  Darn, it was empowering to lay one brick at a time and I laid them all by myself – little old me.  It was great exercise.  And the creativity – the figuring out how to accomplish jumping over the roots, and how to fit the work into my day schedule.  I am not completely done, I would say 5% more to do.

         My New Year’s resolutions:

1.    Finish the paver driveway and include a lovely path to the birdfeeders.
2.    Cut bulbs or flowers in along the edges of the new gorgeous driveway.
3.    Celebrate the driveway with a neighborhood party and invite everyone on the block – a way for all of us to learn who our neighbors are.
4.    Drag those 6 ft. x 8 ft. green house kits out of the shed and put them up this year – before the spring growing season. Maybe even grow my own tomato plants from seed. That would be fun.
5.    Do smaller loads of laundry as I can put a smaller load away quicker.
6.    Use the dishwasher more often – less hand washing makes my nails look better.
7.    Realize that food is not my enemy, one must eat – just choose something better for my health.
8.    Plan meals ahead.  My big hurdle is breakfast. I don’t want to mess up the kitchen making it so I grab something that isn’t healthy. I need to plan ahead.  This will be the year of the Quiche – a slice each morning for breakfast – simple – make it ahead – takes care of 5 or 6 days at a time.  Then, I will work on planned lunches and figure out what my husband wants to actually eat – he is a fussy eater – just like me and two fussy eaters in the house – doesn’t make for much solitude and creates too many leftovers.
9.    I’ve interior room painting this year – make a plan and follow the plan.
10.  Figure out a “retirement” wardrobe to run to the grocery store.  Upgrade my gardening wardrobe to be more comfortable.
11.   Invest in a portable sound system so that I can hear classical music out in the gardens.
12.  Watch more sunrises with Jasmine my cat.
13.  Watch more sunsets with my husband.
14.  Admire my own work product.
15.  Be nice to me, be nice to everyone else, and simply be me for a change.
16.  Write more. Essays, stories, novels and personal letters.
17.   End every blog with an UP Beat quotation.

          This morning I listened to an expert on making resolutions and one thing he said:  Go big! Go for whole health, not just losing 5 pounds. The bigger the plan, the more you will accomplish.

         It sure sounds like I will be attempting many things. This way I will probably accomplish more this year. 



Think of yourself on the threshold
of unparalleled success.
A whole, clear, glorious life lies before you.
Achieve! Achieve!

– Andrew Carnegie




No comments: