2016 INDEX

Monday, March 30, 2020

Stay at home Order


March 30, 2020 – Stay at home Order

         This weekend was interesting as well as historic in that our local county and local towns put in place a Stay at home Order until April 17th, only to be “Trumped” by President Trump until April 30th.

         Simply put my reaction was saying out loud, “Oh My!” filled with much emotion.  I, along with the rest of the world have a lot to ponder.

         Now this reminds me of an extraordinary moment when I heard the understated exclamation, “Oh My!”

 Travel back in time with me . . . 

         Once, when we were traveling from England to France [Dover to Calais] via the Hovercraft, [no longer in service]. We first had to queue into one line from two lines, as service was being reduced to only one crossing instead of two that morning due to raging seas in the channel.  From shore, we couldn’t assess how “raging” those seas were, as this was our first and only Hovercraft experience.

         We left the shores of Dover and I did manage to catch a glimpse of the caulk White Cliffs just as the swirl of wind-powered mist splashed up on the windows making it almost impossible to get a glimpse of anything.

         We were sandwiched in like sardines, not a seat vacant, which I was told by a lovely English lady seated beside me was unusual for that time of year, it being the first week of December.

         Once in the channel we caught glimpses of the white caps of the sea through water saturated windows, and we started to pitch and gully and then the bottom seemed to drop right out from under us.

         “Oh My!” the sophisticated English lady beside me murmured out loud in a startled voice and turned to me and pressed a reassuring smile at me. She added with aplomb, “We are in for a rough crossing this morning.”

         My mind said, talk about an understatement! But, she sounds like she is in the know about these things. Of course, my mind instantly went to the sinking of the Titanic and succumbing to freezing ocean waves.  We were passengers in a Hovercraft which in actuality was a giant rubber raft being powered by wind and the thought of simply being upturned by rogue waves or gale winds was vivid in my mind.

         A rough crossing was putting it mildly.  Soon, the dropping out and the lurching and pitching became constant and on each vicious drop or twist, the now silent occupants lost their modesty and decorum and gasped, “Oh my,” or “Bad one,” or grunts and squeals – not of delight.

         Up until then in my travels I had never witnessed those “barf bags” utilized that you see tucked into the back of every Airline seat. Luckily, the seat backs on the Hovercraft each held those same ubiquitous bags. Within moments many were being utilized by children and adults near me.

         When we landed in Calais, the Hovercraft eased onto the beach and landed, the flexible bottom deflated, the wind engines coming to a stop.  When we off-boarded I was surprised when I stepped off the stairway onto wet sand.

         “Oh, they landed us on the beach. . .” I commented to my husband, as I paused being in high heels, in fact my best pair of high heels.

         An English gent tipped his hat and said, “We are on the tarmac; last night’s heavy seas simply washed ashore sand,” in a matter of fact manner and he walked briskly forward.


 Back to the present 

         This “Oh My” moment in time due to Stay at Home will prove to be challenging, interesting, and memorable as this country proceeds to adjust, make-do, and get-on like we have had to do when adversity has struck in the past.

         It is “stiff upper lip” time and you can borrow my “Oh My!” anytime that suits you.

No comments: