2016 INDEX

Friday, April 10, 2020

Is there anything better than a paperback romance novel?


April 10, 2020 – Is there anything better than a paperback romance novel?

         We are in the “stay-at-home” loop imposed by our Governor and added to by President Trump.  So, reading does become a pleasure when you have ample time on hand.

         Today the roofers were finishing fixing my roof. [Say that quickly a couple of times!]  Years ago, we had it replaced after a massive hailstorm in the county, and unluckily we ended up with inept roofers to fix our roof.

         It took a few years, but eventually the shoddy workmanship proved to falter and we ended up with leaking skylights.

         It took three tries before I even found a roofing firm who would fix it, and then after going under contract, we waited in line until they finished jobs scheduled ahead of us.  Three weeks is a long wait.

         So, earlier this week, they started. They were good workers and they DID mind me when I told them not to stomp all over my emerging perennials. [And, they were neat - they cleaned up their mess before they left this afternoon.]

         Today should have been the last day, except they had a “bad cut” on the last piece of roofing and it will have to wait a couple days to be finished – they say Monday.

         But, I had to be patient all day as they worked on this last section, where they pried the old skylights off and then proceeded to affix the new skylights as I had spread drop cloths inside expecting and receiving debris bits that I eventually collected and carried off to the back property line.

         What a perfect day to sit in my easy chair waiting for my “beck and call” – several times by the contractor to chat about a few things – and each time I settled back in to my soft read.

         I opted for a soft romance novel to read. I’d been holding onto a Harlequin paper back by Leigh Michaels entitled The Corporate Wife for just the right occasion. [Copyright date 2000 – yes 20 years ago, not a typo.]  I had found it at a used book store.

         I was intrigued by the title as I was a corporate wife, but this was a love story far different than my own.

         It was an entertaining read – I leisurely read it on and off during my many interruptions.  A classic romance between the boss and his assistant and it has the twists and turns, subtle humor along with some snappy dialogue, and of course romance – reluctant romance.

         At the end, after the climax where they have had a fight – in the kiss-and-make-up scene where you expect them to live happily ever after there is one line that I had to turn off the TV and read out loud to my husband.  He chuckled.

          On page 182 of a 186 page book:

         He kissed her till her toenails threaten to dissolve, and then . . .”

         It makes me giggle even now.  Wow, what sort of passion is that? 

         For all the other romance readers out there, you are not alone.  Sometimes one line makes the book forever memorable.

         Now that the outside roof has been fixed, I will have to deal with the inside fixing.  While I am working on it, I will remind myself about the ‘dissolving toenails’ – it might make my work go quicker.


Info on: Leigh Michaels


Also Author of non-fiction: Writing the Romance Novel, 1996 and On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel that Sells, 2007

No comments: