2016 INDEX

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Burnt Toast!


April 22, 2020 – Burnt Toast!

         This was the moment this morning . . .



         You know that saying:

Insanity, doing the same thing over and
over again and
expecting different
results.
-Albert Einstein

         That is what this blog is about today.  I never do anything simple, I always take it to the height of drama.  I can still hear my Mom say, “Stop being so dramatic!”

         I find that drama works and today I was condescending when I snatched the second set of burnt toast out of my husband's hands.

         Yes, I think I like to make a scene to keep my heart pumping.

         It is simple, the non-high tech toaster has a small dial on the front that has 1 through 7 on it.  For the life of me, I still cannot comprehend why my husband continues to crank it to 7 and expects not to have burnt toast.

         My dear husband is making toast to go with his eggs for breakfast.  I give him plenty of room to get in trouble.  A friend advised me to let him do what he can do as long as he can do it . . . calling it “tough love.”  I will make him do until he can’t, then I will kick in and help.

         I smell burnt toast!  I am thinking “as usual.”  He is snarling up a storm about that darn toaster.  It is not the toaster, it is the operator- 7 burns, 1 only warms the bread.

         I’ve told him a million times, he just can’t remember.

         During this pandemic wasting two or four pieces of bread to make burnt toast is not the prudent thing to do.  My husband has a short memory issue and I tell him the same thing 4 or 5 times a day. 

         Example: He’ll retrieve the mail around 11:30 and come in and read it and the newspaper, and set it aside.  Half hour later he will ask, “Has the mail come?”

         I don’t make a big deal out of that or the toast or many other moments during our day.

         It’s my life now, trying to be patient, and sweet, and nice, but, I just couldn’t help poking a little dramatic fun at him today about the burnt toast.  I kept one of the burnt slices and pinned “This is setting 7” on it.  The sign is now hanging on the gadget shelf behind the toaster.

         I doubt he will pay any attention to it, but it will make me smile.

         Today was a burnt toast day, but it was good, all good.

No comments: