2016 INDEX

Sunday, April 5, 2020

What’s-a-matter-you?


April 5, 2020 – What’s-a-matter-you?

         The other day my husband was talking to a feral cat on the back patio that came up to him and circled his ankles.

         “What’s-a-matter-you?” he said – all one word like my Dad used to say when I was young.  I stopped my nearby weeding and looked up at him.

         “Been a long time since I’ve heard that phrase, Dad used to say it, not often, but every once in a while.”’
        
         I turned back to weeding in the warm sunshine and pondered about that phrase. It was a phrase Dad used on children who weren’t talking, or children who came to him crying.  His “What’s-a-matter-you?” usually eased their tears or elicited a few words.  He also used it on animals that sauntered up and wanted some attention.

         I dug deep in my memory.  I remember the last time I heard him say that was to a neighbor’s dog that came up to him and rested its chin on his knee, Dad’s big hand dropped down automatically and rubbed the dog’s ears.

         “What’s-a-matter-you?” he asked and the dog jumped with both paws onto his chest and licked his face.  It was the neighbor’s German Sheppard and he visited Dad often when he was out in the yard or garden. [See blog September 29, 2016, BAH-Hamburger, Herb Hamburgers, and Where’s the Beef?]

         Dad patted him a while, talking to him and then the dog laid down at his feet as if it was his master.  I’d seen this duplicated before, when he visited my home and a neighbor’s dog came up.  That time, the dog jumped into his lap. I though it was so funny I took a picture of it.  Dad had a calming voice among children and animals, just like my husband, Russ.

         Russ has that voice, that soothing voice that eases and comforts cats, dogs, raccoon, and even skunks. [See blog November 8, 2016 for The Skunk Whisperer.]

         Then I shifted to another section of the garden to weed – spring weeding is always a long ordeal – weeds want to grow in the South in the winter – I find it so amazing, even after 34+ years.

         My mind went back further down memory lane; it was when my niece and nephew were little, Jeff a toddler and Stef a few years older.  I had flown home for a visit and we had a family outing.  My Dad was sitting in his favorite chair and Jeff brought a toy to him.  Jeff was quiet that day, maybe because he didn’t know who I was, and Dad, said, “What’s-a-matter-you?” 

         Dad didn’t get an answer, just Jeff’s deploring eyes who looked at me suspiciously and then back to his Grandpa.  Dad took the toy offered to him, looked it over and handed it back to him, which seemed to satisfy him.  Jeff sat down at his feet to play; I guess he knew he was in a safety zone, away from a strange Aunt sitting across the room.

         A good phrase that - “What’s-a-matter-you?”  I need to dust it off and use it more often.
        

No comments: