2016 INDEX

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

An Easter Season Tradition


April 14, 2020 – An Easter Season Tradition

         I am exhausted, yes, exhausted looking for one pair of white capris in my closet.  After tearing apart all my closets, I find them when I start to take every bit of clothing out of one closet.  It is after Easter, you can now wear white fashionably – as if we have fashionista police in this county, not hardly.

         I was simply looking for something to wear today in what I expect to be at least 80 degree heat today, as I need to go to the bank – drive up window only banking – but nevertheless, I have to go out in semi-public.

         That is the old way, switch out your wardrobe Easter and Labor Day for the seasons . . . pretty old fashioned isn’t it, and I am as old fashioned as you can get.
        
         When my husband can’t find something, I usually do an Erma Bombeck, and walk to his closet, put my hand in and viola – the lost item is found.  [Erma wrote about that in one of her wonderful books and when I actually do that feat I shout out in celebration of her, “I just did an Erma Bombeck.”]

         But, today, with only one cup of coffee under my belt, I looked and looked and pawed and looked.  An hour later, the white capris were exactly where I looked for them the first time before I started this crusade – I found them only when I emptied my closet out onto the bed, UGH!

         Now I have arms of clothes tossed on the bed, and it is bright and sunny and I want to do anything but go back in the bedroom and put everything up.

         Nope, I will purge the wardrobe again now that it is all out on the bed – but, that can wait until this evening, I don’t want to waste a whole beautiful day. 

         I will do the Marie Kondo – if I don’t love it – it is gone.  But, I can’t cut too deep as I can’t go out to any stores to try on any replacements.  What a perplexing situation! This might not be the time to do the all-season clothes project.

         Besides, I love my warm winter clothes – I can keep the heat lower and with lower heat, I sleep better.  Over the course of fall and then into winter, I slowly migrate one item, then another, then a flood of them into my wardrobe and by Spring I have a MESS.  The same mess every year, I guess I haven’t learned.  I wonder if the “all-season” wardrobe keepers don’t have a mess at any time of the year.  I wonder how often they actually say I haven’t a thing to wear!
         
         Maybe this is the wakeup call that I need to have no seasonal clothes in my closets.  But, I am perplexed how to shift to all season clothes.  How does one do that?  How does one pry her fingertips off her favorite cashmere sweaters and lined wool pants?    It has been touted the thing to do in just about every magazine I’ve read in the last five years and I am still backing away from it.

         Nope, not yet, I will go through the process of packing away the winter things and pulling out the summer things, and leave the few transitional things in the closet for the swings in spring, summer weather.

         But, I will add to my to-do list – look for “all-season” clothes to integrate into my wardrobe – maybe in five years I won’t have this Easter tradition. 

         Here’s to all-season clothes hunting once this pandemic has ended. 

No comments: