2016 INDEX

Wednesday, April 11, 2018


 April 11, 2018 – Drum roll please! Mushrooms

         The routine has been to spritz the box of mushrooms I have in my closet in the dark with water every morning and night and I got a surprise last night.  A box full of mushrooms ready to pick.  It was too late last night so first thing this morning, I brought the box out to the kitchen under the light and went to work harvesting.


         You gently grab hold of the cap and twist it gently to get the entire mushroom including the growing base out of the medium.  I started with the single ones first so that I could get a handle on the gentle twisting technique.  But, alas, I did snap one cap off and then had to twist out the base.  One isn’t bad since I haven’t done this in a while.

         The next step is to trim off the bottom of each, brush any medium that stuck to the caps or stems in their growing process and violá we are ready to have a lovely mushroom omelet for breakfast.


         When you slice them – they have this incredible “crunch” sound that you usually don’t get with store bought mushrooms.

         Now to mark the harvest amount on my calendar and see when the next flush comes.

         If this doesn’t spur you on to try this gardening project – I can’t imagine what will.  Again, these are crimini baby bella mushrooms.  These come from Mushroom Adventures. 


                   YUM, YUM, smack my lips, YUM.



No comments: