2016 INDEX

Tuesday, April 24, 2018


April 24, 2018 – Rain, weeds and a surprise visitor, little Raccoon.

         We’ve had drenching rains the last few days and now again today more rain.  When we walk on the lawn with the dog, Jack, the water squishes up and soaks our shoes and it squishes up between his toes. He is not happy.  I don’t blame him, it is wet and cold.  Nevertheless, I feel it is always better to have more rain than drought, yet, the weeds are getting ahead of me. 

On my to-do list for several days has been the eradication of the tall yellow weeds that have plagued my gardens for years. My next-door neighbor was lax on many occasions in not mowing his lawn for weeks on end.  His lawn would turn into a field of tall yellow dandelion type weeds.  They are false dandelions or a sow thistle or something I haven’t exactly identified.  Of course, the floating weed seeds take hold in the best of my gardens, those gardens where I have worked in compost and fertilizer.  They grow in the blink of an eye and are hard to hack out. 

It has been a year round battle depending on when they decide to take hold, growing from ample amounts of white puff of seed that floats around the neighborhood.  His weeks and weeks of not mowing created waves and waves of drifting puffs almost year round.  It is not a matter of pulling weeds once, it is a matter of pulling them continuously.

         Part of me had a dream of sneaking up there one night with 50 gallons of weed kill and spraying his entire lawn so that he had nothing to mow turning his lawn into a barren red clay desert. Then I’d wake up and realize – I was thinking like that because I’d just eradicated a wheel barrow full of weeds and had another wheel barrow full to pull out ahead of me.

And, part of me feels he had a vindictive streak and went out of his way to not mow his lawn so that the white seed puffs would float around to ruin everyone else’s lawns.  Whatever the reason was, it has worked out that way for many years.  Now that he is gone and his house is up for sale, maybe I can get his weeds out of my gardens in a season or two.

         Hopefully, when that neighbor’s house is sold, the new owners will be more diligent about mowing their lawn. Meanwhile, the attack of the tall yellow weeds is right up there on the to-do list when the rains stop.  At the bottom of this post are a few good websites where you can identify weeds if you are having a particular problem.  It is always nice to know what weed you are battling in order to win the war.

         Lastly, I had a startling surprise last evening.  We had just finished supper, and I was taking the dishes to the sink when I was suddenly eye-to-eye with a baby raccoon outside the double windows over my kitchen sink. 

He/she was clinging to the post holding up the bird feeder and leaned in to look at me for a moment.  I didn’t move wanting to look at the raccoon closer.  We were probably as close as 24 inches with just the pane of glass between us.

What a moment of sweetness for me to look at such a live portrait of such a cute animal. White whiskers, white frosted ears, leathery black paws, shiny coal black eyes and that unmistakable mask I observed in a few seconds. The word cute just does not capture how precious it looked. It was hungry and had been vacuuming out the sunflower seeds from the kitchen window feeder.  In a flash, it scampered away across the drive, stopped a moment to look back at me, then rumpled ran back to the wild property line.

Yes, every few days we are reminded that we do live in the country and the country is up-close and personal for us to enjoy.

Some good websites for weed identification.


Weedalert – by region – helpful pictures – larger group

Most common weeds – Better Homes and Gardens

Preen – common weeds by state.
https://www.preen.com/weeds/ga


No comments: