2016 INDEX

Thursday, April 12, 2018


April 12, 2018 – Isaiah Hankel PhD – Book review

         Last week I ordered the book entitled The Science of Intelligent Achievement: How smart people focus, create and grow their way to success.  It arrived yesterday in the mail and since I have been retired I have designated Tuesday as my day to enjoy a book.  I mean – from cover to cover.  I keep my calendar clear of clutter that day and reading a book is my main goal on Tuesdays.

         I started a month or so ago and I find it so empowering and refreshing of spirit at the same time.  During all the years I worked, I never seemed to have enough quality time to read. And, I actually need quality time.  My reading comprehension skills have always been poor, so I actually read slow in order for the information to sink into my “thick skull” as my older brothers used to tease me when I was a kid.

         This slow “comprehension” has also made me the brunt of many a joke.  When someone tells a joke, most of the time it goes right over my head and at some places I worked it was more of a sport to tell me a joke and laugh at me not getting it until later – I had the “delayed reaction” that is so often highlighted in TV comedy shows.  But then, I also push that response a bit when it is a risqué joke, because ladies aren’t supposed to have their minds in the gutter. [Mom taught me that one and I still cling to it to protect my reputation, even though I am no longer that naïve.]

         The central theme of this book is – “teaching you the importance of taking ownership over my [your] life . . .” [page XXIX] my emphasis.

         To give you a taste of his book, below are a few lines from the chapter entitled: Why your entire life is your fault [both from page 50 – paperback version.]

“. . . You are responsible for your problems.  Your parents are not to blame.  Your negative friends are not to blame. You are responsible.  Your entire life is your fault.”


“Life is not what happens to you; it’s how you handle what happens to you.  . . .   Life will decide.  Sooner or later, you will be faced with a situation where no one can help you but yourself.”

         I did a quick read last night, but I will go back and reread each chapter to “fix my life”.  Yes, even my life needs some serious “fixing” and only I can make it happen.

         I highly recommend this book to you if you have family, friends, or your own children who get themselves into life’s messes. It might just be the key to get them to analyze how they created their own problem and how they can take specific steps to fix it.

         A large chunk of this book is about CREATIVE OWNERSHIP, a new term I had not been exposed to. There is a chapter on “Entre-Employee” and “Why Employers Want to Hire Entrepreneur’s.”  It leads into how you create for yourself a new income stream. 

         Additionally, at the end of each chapter is the bibliography of material so that anyone can go deeper into the subject matters.

         I highly recommend this book to you.  If you are floundering around in life or simply stuck and have this persistent “now what” do I do question coming to the surface, I believe you can get your bearings with this book. 

Isaiah Hankel PhD also has a website:

Lots to read at his website.
Check it out.

No comments: