2016 INDEX

Thursday, April 5, 2018


April 5, 2018 – I missed something this Easter


         I buffer the TV and newspaper news with reading the comics [or funnies as I often call them] every day.  It was my Mom’s habit to read them first and then move on to news, that is where I learned the habit.  She always touted that “Laughter was the best medicine” and would often cut out a clever comic or joke from the newspaper or the Reader’s Digest and slip it into her weekly letter to me.  I miss that.

I also used to have a friend who lived across the street from me, Geraldine, God rest her soul, she died too young.  She collected jokes and would trot across the street after work and jump into her comedian role.  She always had me in stiches.  If she couldn’t make you laugh – you were a sour puss or a dud.

Today I happened to pause a moment when I was reading the WIZARD OF ID.  The Wizard is applying for a dragon license and Henry, the dragon, has punched a hole through the roof of the application office.  That silly dragon always has such a cute expression.  The name made me pause. Henry!

It brought to mind the classic Easter 1950 comedy-drama movie starring  James Stewart as the wealthy drunk, Elwood P. Dowd who has a pooka named Harvey, an invisible rabbit as his friend. Henry – Harvey – the H sound reminded me.

Somehow, I didn’t happen to see the movie, HARVEY, during the Easter holiday and I thought it always came on.  I am simple; I never tire of it.  If you haven’t seen it, you will find some charm in it.  In fact, the more often you see it, the more charm you find in it as there is always a little bit you miss.  I can’t imagine any other actor pulling it off.  James Stewart is perfection in it.

Yes, I am a little kid, I’ve an explosion of white cardboard cutouts of rabbits multiplying along the window ledge of the front living room windows and a trio of rabbits on the front door.  Being a little kid – never gets old – you just call it “whimsy” when you get my age.

If you haven’t tried whimsy yet, do so, it will cheer you up and your neighbors will think you are a little bit cracked – you can tell when they stop and speak to you and have a gentle smile on their face.  They are actually hoping you do something a bit – off center – so they can have a laugh at you and share it with others.

Whimsy – I aim to please anyone – anytime.
Let’s all have bit more laughter in our life.

No comments: