2016 INDEX

Saturday, July 14, 2018


July 14, 2018 – The Metaphor/Simile project for writer’s class:

OUR PROMPT FOR JUNE WAS TO LOCATE A HOLIDAY FOR JUNE AND WRITE SOMETHING THAT INCLUDED A METAPHOR OR SIMILE

The following was my project:

National Eat your Vegetables day – June 17th

         Yesterday was “National Eat your vegetables Day” and I celebrated by enjoying the incredible taste of sunshine and butter of just picked yellow crookneck squash.

         A few years back I grew Daikon radishes that are both delicious and fascinating.  You might have seen them visiting a health food store and wondered what they were. The cylinder white roots usually weigh in at one to two pounds and are as thick as your wrist and as long as your forearm.

         My experiment started when I planted tiny round seeds in the soft rich soil on a break-in-the-weather January day and immediately popped a cold frame over them to make them cozy in the days to come.

By mid-April, the Daikon radish leaves were a fountain of two-foot green ruffles cascading over the sides of the cold frame.  As the heat soared in early May, I removed the cold frame to cool them off and give them elbowroom.  The leaves grew flush to the ground until they waltzed towards harvest size when the white roots shrugged upwards out of the soil as the roots expanded in both diameter and length.

         Then one day, after a warm lush rain and afternoon sunshine, bare white shoulders slipped off their soil shawls in order to garner attention and fill their dance cards.

The last paragraph was a simile before I worked it into a metaphor. I actually prefer the simile better.  It is below – see what you think.

         Then one day, after a warm lush rain and full day of sunshine, I knew they were ready. Their bare white shoulders much like a coquettish woman in a sleeveless evening gown slipped off her soil shawl in order to get attention and dance requests.


More thoughts on the subject.


We all recognize: 

The world is a stage and we are all actors upon it.
-Shakespeare

Great, but to write a metaphor, I found it extremely difficult. I researched and located a thought provoking one but failed to jot down the author.  It is not mine.

Life is an hourglass, and I’m about to turn it over once more.


I could use that phrase to describe the many different jobs I’ve taken over the course of my career – tack one way, then another way.  Try to fit into what sort of jobs are out there and transform yourself to fit.  Yes, shame I didn’t jot down the author, it would be useful in the future.

That got my brain to working and I’ve a few more attempts below – that are not really that exciting, but I made a stab at something I find almost impossible to do.

      This ride called life is a traffic jam; where is the off ramp?

      In the high-speed traffic called life, I’m looking for an off ramp.

      My past maybe carved in stone, but I want to recut all the grooves.

      She is a little black dress adapting to all occasions.

And this one I am still working on.
Someone suggested it would be the good opening of a story:

      The willow bends and does not break. You acquiesce to others demands.  Yet, I’d like to uproot and be replanted elsewhere. - Given an option, perhaps I need to be uprooted and planted elsewhere. [I’ll need to tweak this, it is a work in progress.]

         Today’s blog ends in a challenge to you.  Go out and write a metaphor or two or a simile – or better yet – both!

No comments: