2016 INDEX

Thursday, July 19, 2018


July 19, 2018 – Colchicums – A fall surprise for the Garden

         Colchicum – pronounced KOLL-chi-kum – is one of those little know treasurers in the garden. 


         I had always admired them in the bulb catalogs that come out in late spring and summer for fall planting.  They are pretty and bloom in the fall when we have little excitement except for Chrysanthemum or pansies.

         At my first home in North Carolina, I splurged and bought some. The bulbs are “pricey” compared to tulips or daffodils. I planted them near the front steps so that I would notice them.  At the same time, I sent some to my parents as an anniversary gift.  My Dad said it was only half-a-gift; I should have delivered them in person [with a visit] to dig them in.  I teased him, “The bulbs cost so much I couldn’t fly home to dig them in.”  I remember he belly laughed at my hyperbole.  I told him they would bloom in the fall as their yearly anniversary gift.  He'd never seen or heard of them before, so he was looking forward to the blooms.

         In September, I phoned and asked Mom to keep a look out for the blooms.  Every few days during my daily phone calls to Mom, she would report.  I was hoping they would bloom near their anniversary and when I called on their anniversary, Mom reported, “They are blooming!  Smart bulbs, they know the exact date!”  The next spring Dad reported the long strappy green leaves and when they died down in the garden. 

Every year for many years, I would call Mom and every year, like clockwork, they would be in bloom for their anniversary and my birthday.  One of those gifts that keep on giving.

Then I moved and I didn’t get a chance to dig up the bulbs to take with me, and I have been without any Colchicums for many years.  Mom moved in with my brother, Ken, so that she could be cared for and that year I had him dig up her Colchicums while in bloom so that Mom could enjoy them.  My brother showed Mom the blooming bulbs then plunked them in his garden.  Later, when they were dormant, he sent me half of what he'd dug up. 

That was a few years ago and I didn’t have any idea where I really wanted them on display so I plunked them in my vegetable garden in a vacant spot and babysat them for two years.  The first spring the leaves didn’t look that great, and the second year, they weren’t much better. I knew they were planted in the wrong location.  This summer, when the leaves turned brown and dried up to a crunch, I dug the bulbs and brought them in the house to rest for a month or so, in order to replant them by August at the latest.


I intend on setting them out in four different locations to make certain I find the right location.  I no longer take a chance on planting important specimens all in the same place.  I hedge my bets, like my Mom used to say, “Never put all your eggs in the same basket.”

I will report in late September when I expect them to bloom and maybe even chat about them in the spring when the strappy leaves are storing food for their fall flower dislay.

I purchased my original Colchicum Waterlily bulbs from:

        

         The very best horticulture article I have located is at:


Additional information:


https://www.finegardening.com/plant/autumn-crocus-colchicum-waterlilly

        

No comments: