2016 INDEX

Tuesday, July 24, 2018


July 24, 2018 – Chrysanthemum cuttings – the potting up process

         Even with this hamstring pull, I am trying to keep up my gardening projects.  One project was set back a few extra weeks – but it did no harm, in fact, it improved the situation.

         I took cuttings of my favorite Chrysanthemum, Sheffield Pink, which is considered a perennial, along with cuttings of other mums from along the front walk that have overstayed their welcome as they fall into the walk when they bloom.  But, they were viable mums and it is easier to take cuttings of viable mums, yank them out, and replant with the fresh cuttings after I’ve rejuvenated the soil of that area.

         I ordered some plastic domes to make the process easier and placed them over the same diameter pots.  I filled the pots with good potting soil and proceeded to take cuttings and insert them into the pots in a circle and one in the center.  The pots averaged 7 to 8 cuttings.

         I did this the week before my hamstring pull and I admit, they got extra weeks of rooting – which didn't hurt.  Every three or four days  I lift the domes, check the moisture and water them if needed being sure to let the foliage dry. Then I pop the domes back on.  I find doing cuttings this way most successful.

Since this was a 'sit-down' project, 
I found a cool morning last week 
to finally get the cuttings into their one gallon pots.  

         Below is a picture process of transplanting the cuttings into one-gallon pots to bring along.  Here in the south, I find it safer to bring the growth along in a sheltered nursery where I can attend to watering and feeding with Miracle Grow and turn the pots until the roots have filled out the pot.  Then, they are sturdy enough to withstand the heat when I transplant them out in their final location.

 Domed pot ready for project: 



Dome removed, you can see the luxuriant growth of the cuttings:



One cutting laid on work bench - showing the ample root system:



Set rooted cutting into a one gallon pot - being sure to set the root system a bit lower than it was in the cutting put.  The key is to "center" the plant and firm soil.


Important step:  you must pinch the cutting back a few inches in order for the plant to branch out and make multiple stems.


Above picture shows the thumbnail snip and below the take away of the snip:


Top view of the snipped mum ready to be set into the nursery to bring along - and yes it is a little off center even though I tried my best to center it.  


    
Watered with diluted Miracle Grow and set aside in the nursery for some pampering for a few weeks.  In three weeks I will check out the root system: Knock one gently out of the pot looking for white roots that have made it to the sides of the one gallon pot.  When that occurs, I will be ready to set them out in their final location. [Look for a future blog showing that process.]

  
   It is that easy!

Good gardening to you.


No comments: