2016 INDEX

Thursday, September 27, 2018


September 27, 2018 – Another miscommunication – HUH?


Back story - set up:

         In the fall and winter our church, the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church has bible study classes after the Wednesday evening Mass.  I’ve been to several in past years and this year I signed up for the new class.  I am always surprised what I do know which is reinforced and then what I learn anew. A few classes ago, I especially liked the Angels and Demons class.  I enjoyed most all of it except when we got to the demons – you can keep them – I don’t want them around me.

         The Bible and the Virgin Mary - journey through scripture is the title of the program this year.  The class usually has a DVD presentation which is filled with quality speakers, gorgeous artwork, and spiritually moving sound track. Then we review our lesson and answer the questions in a group setting and have a discussion.

It is a place for “sweets” too – we have many excellent bakers in our church and most of the time there are sweets or eats and coffee. Additionally, the workbook is filled with beautiful artwork.  There are no tests. Whew – good thing – my attention span in the evening is much reduced.  I am a morning person.

         It is a pleasant evening and I live just five minutes from church so it is “ultra” convenient for me.  It gives me the opportunity to socialize with others like myself or as I often say, “my kind”. 

[In the future I will share with you the comment by an employer after a few weeks of work saying to me, “We’ve never had anyone in this office of your kind.”  I asked, “Kind?” and he answered, “Catholic”.  One doesn’t forget about little incidents like that. I believe I will take that one to my grave.]

The miscommunication:

         I announced last week [the first week] to my husband about 6:15 p.m. as I am about to leave,

         “I am going to Church then to Catechism class.”  I call it catechism class instead of bible study out of habit.

         He looks up at the clock and asks, “You are going to get vitamins this late in the day?”

        
         This time I didn’t have a snappy comeback.  I paused with my mouth open in surprise. I tried to say it again, and he made no comment. I finally grabbed a piece of paper and wrote it out and handed it to him. 

“Ohh,” he nodded understanding. 

         On the way to the church I was saying aloud to my guardian angel in the passengers seat, “God love him, he doesn’t hear anything I say anymore!”  Then I smiled, it was sort of funny mixing up catechism with vitamins. Catechism-vitamins – do they sound alike or they are just multi syllable words and he made a wild guess?
        
         Was the TV on too loud or was he just tired? 

         All during Mass my mind is wandering back to the catechism and vitamins.  What drug store did he think I was going to that sounded like church – or didn’t he hear any of what I said except the last word?  He has mentioned occasionally that I talk too fast.  Is that the problem?

         After Mass, I mention it to a friend and she smiles knowingly.  She owns a deaf husband too.  That is why I go to the catechism class to share the ups and downs and miscommunications of life with dear friends.

Her knowing smile was the honey in my hot-tea-of-life at that moment.



No comments: