2016 INDEX

Saturday, September 8, 2018


September 8, 2018 – Bit of this and that, on pause, and then cute:

THIS:

         I spoke with my monthly doctor’s assistant today – about “life” in general and she mentioned to me that The Brick Restaurant had gone out of business [along with possibly others] because of Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC) hosting the World Games 2018 here and they “stole” all of the Brick Restaurant's help.

         She explained, TIEC stole all their waiters and even their cooks and The Brick, a long time restaurant here in Landrum is now out of business because they could not replace their staff.

         And, she said, some of us will have to deal with roads completely blocked off for some of their functions.  Landrum – this is – near Mill Springs.

         Part of my mind was saying – why take a 6 to 8 week job when you have a year-round gig. Big money for a few weeks, doesn’t pay the bills the rest of the year.  And, the other part of my mind was, obviously the overhead at The Brick couldn’t afford to challenge the wages of TIEC to keep their help.  This was not a WIN-WIN situation.  This was a definite LOSE-LOSE.

         Because of the impending TIEC host of the world games for the equestrian events – I drove out HWY 108 through Columbus into Tryon and then into Landrum in order to avoid HWY 74 West.  Even on HWY 108 from Rutherfordton to Tryon, I noticed heavy traffic and many new establishments along the way.  How long will these new establishments last? A month, two months – the locals won’t keep them alive longer than that.

We are two days before the big kick off start of the World Games 2018 – Equestrian Games – on Tuesday the 11th of September and I notice many out of state cars, heavy traffic, and “foreigners” about.

         I intend on staying home and watching it on TV – GEE, I hope we can it on TV!  For more info: http://tryon.coth.com/wp_tryon/venue/tiec/


THAT:

         This is the year of “If it doesn’t flower or produce or do what I expect it to do”  IT IS GONE!  Today’s case in point:  Hydrangeas!  I HAD 4 of them and they have only given me a show about once in 8 years.  I have been “babysitting” them for the last six years and they have to escape the late killing frosts in order to get those gorgeous blue blossoms that I want to cut and fill vases and scatter throughout the house.  It has never happened.  I paid “big money” for the various hydrangea shrubs I have collected over the last 8 years and I am completely unhappy with the lack of blooms.  When we don’t have ample rain, I just about run my well dry to get them hydrated. Then, they get frosted and I get no blooms.  HECK – I can order a bouquet at the florist once or twice a year and get more than what I have gotten from these so-called exquisite hybrids.

         Today, I had the “ITCH” to nix anything that wasn’t producing and – it was unlucky for the hydrangeas – they are now cut to the ground. I took great pleasure – actually gleeful pleasure - cutting them down and tossing the long green stems on the wheelbarrow.  It was a satisfying moment for each of the four shrubs that I cut down. And, the huge garden space that I have now recovered is only waiting for me to re-think those gardens and consider what will give me more pleasure with less heart ache. [I can only show you pictures of other people's gardens - I never saw the glory.]


          When the rains come from the outlying skirts of the hurricanes next week or the week after, I will take my pick-axe and get the stumps and roots out.  I will toss those stumps along the back property line and if they decide to survive and live – I will completely ignore them.  If they in years to come decide to bloom – “GOD LOVE THEM” – is what I will say and I will immediately cut their blossoms and bring them inside.  But, eight years is more than I can wait for the bounty of big blooms!  Life is too short to babysit a non-producing plant.



ON PAUSE:

         I sat overlooking my not yet finished patio near the shed and I realized that the tulip trees have very “heavy” sounding leaves.  The fall leaves are starting and we are only into September eight days.  It must be a three-week drought at this time.  Those leaves fall with a “crunch” sound when they hit the new pavers.

AND JUST CUTE:  I ran up on this looking up a word – it was a weather word.  The picture made me smile for a long time.




        

No comments: