2016 INDEX

Friday, September 28, 2018


September 28, 2018 – Was it coincidence or heaven-sent?

         I miss my Mom.  This will be a difficult birthday for me, my first since Mom died; I won’t be getting a card from my Mom ever again. There won’t be a crisp bill with “In God we Trust” on it slipped inside with a note to buy something I’d like.  It’s not the money I miss – it is her handwriting – her choice of card and the sentiment she chose.  Sure, I’ll probably get cards from other people – but not from Mom.

Last year I drove up to Massachusetts and visited her close to my birthday when I helped clean out my parents’ home getting it ready to sell. She was frail then and lived with my brother, Ken. 

"The next time you see me, I’ll be in my box,” she had said with a lilt in her voice and smiling snap of her brown eyes.  She was being honest and humorous.  She always said, “Laughter is the best medicine” so she was serving up her final goodbye with her type of “sugar to make the bitter pill go down.”

 Just seven days after I kissed her goodbye, she passed away peacefully.

The whole time I was hugging her and saying goodbye; in my mind was the thought this will be the last time I will see her alive.  But, she was the brave one who actually verbalized it for the both of us.

I miss her optimism and her bravery. I’ve spent a year now reflecting on her life and now realize she had more than her share of courage or bravery in small things that added up to a well accomplished life.

I am not sure what I would say to her if she were here other than, “I miss you terribly.”

Thinking about her “courage” I went to my bookcase and pulled out a book I read a while back entitled:  Finding your Courage – unleash your full potential and live the life you really want, by Margie Warrell. 

What better time for me to re-read it.  Mom had an abundance of courage, I need to cultivate more for the rest of my life’s journey.

When I pulled the book out of the bookcase, I opened it up to a bookmark protruding from the top.

It was a letter from my Mom folded up – three pages – all out of sequence with no envelope.  First, I noticed it was from Mom and Dad – that would make it rather old so I looked for the date.  September 28, 2008 – which was my birthday 10 years ago!  Was that a coincidence?

What do they call that - a heaven-sent message from beyond?

I then shuffled the pages, put the letter in correct order, and read it again – it transported me to a time when both my Mom and Dad were alive.

They’d gone out to dinner at The Olive Garden.  Dad has seven pieces of chicken in his entrée and Mom had the scallops and shrimp Alfredo and brought half of it home for supper the next night.  They watched the movie, “Sabrina” and stopped at a bookstore to buy the history books, Harvard and Fort Devens. [I have those books now; I brought all her local history books home last fall and have been reading them at random.]

“We are catching up with our fall equinox rain,” she writes. Funny, today, we had a heavy rain.

I miss her letters they were weekly treasures.  Mom basically jotted down a paragraph a day for seven days, then signed it, “Much Love, Mom & Dad” folded it and shoved it in an envelope and mailed it to me.  The next day, she would start another one. 

Her letters gave me a complete summary of their lives – week in and week out for all the years since I moved away from home – my entire married life.  How could I miss her then, when I was getting letters . . . it was almost impossible.

Later, when she could no longer hold a pen to write – I would call her almost daily.  Soon that became difficult for her. She couldn’t hear me, and I couldn’t ask much or convey much as she didn’t understand.  Just hearing her voice was always enough.  She always would end the call, “Be Good.”

I don’t know how she managed it from heaven, but the 10 year old letter eerily dated with September 28th – seems like a celestial sign from her that I chose the right book from my bookshelf.  I think she is telling me, “Find your courage.”

“Yes, Mom, I will do just that. I miss you both. Much Love back.”

No comments: