2016 INDEX

Saturday, September 29, 2018


September 29, 2018 – Is sleep important?

         “I find that when you have a real interest in life and a curious life, that sleep is not the most important thing.” – Martha Stewart

         There are times I don’t sleep and I turn out the light and re-wind the day wondering how all the time slipped so quickly through my fingers like sand.  Today, I had a nice surprise, a long visit with a dear friend.  A thirty-year plus  friend – you don’t have many of those in your life time. 

         Friends with that sort of vintage are just about as rare as antiques.  I can’t tell you how much catching up we did.  We went from one topic to another as easily as rain pattering the pavement.  One idea made us think of another idea and as she drove to the next county for lunch, our mutual talk and thoughts meandered just like the country back roads we traveled.

We discussed another mutual friend, Gerry, God Rest her Soul, she is no longer with us and I couldn’t remember a phrase Gerry used often.  After a few days of thinking about it, that elusive phrase came to me this afternoon.

         “Remember that phrase Gerry used to say when we got to a subject she didn’t want to talk about?”

“Don’t go there,” is what she used to say.

         We nodded and laughed.

         “I miss her snorkel . . .” my friend replied.

         We spent the next few moments imitating her snorkel.  That brought tears to my eyes and mutual giggles.

         "I remember how she hated the smell of my coffee when we used to go out to eat and the waitress always put my coffee in front of her and her sweet tea in front of me."

         My friend mimicked Gerry’s, “Eeww” she would gasp at the coffee aroma.  We laughed again.

         “You know, I still want to pick up the phone and call her sometimes . . . then I remember . . .”

         We fell silent for a moment.

         Later, it was fun, showing her my new projects and my new crazy ideas. It is easy when you are sharing something daring and adventurous with such a friend – you get nothing but positive vibes.

         Yes, a pleasant day, with someone else driving for a change. I relished just watching the rural landscape slipping past.  I noticed the green leaves of the tall tulip trees are starting to get yellow tinged edges coordinating with the massive patches of golden rod.  Fall is inching its way here.

         So many nice memories were dusted off today, refreshing my spirit and acting like Novocain on the new number of my age. 

         I don’t feel any different than I did yesterday – just my age has changed a digit.  Maybe my chronical age will catch up with me next month or next year or never catch up with me – now that is a thought.

         What was it Mom used to say about age – Yeah,  Curiosity keeps you young.

         Sleep isn’t coming - I’ve had a full day of exhilaration-I’ll re-wind it and “Play it again Sam.” 

         Martha Stewart is right, sleep is not the most important thing.

No comments: